Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Zimba
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: $10 extra data. I don't want it!!

i got the same issue. but i didnt get any usage alerts at all. we got wifi at work and at home so heck knows how i potentially have gone above 10GB. how about giving us the option to disable the add on 1GB? I rather cant access the web for 24h than be charged $10.

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi zimba,
Thank you for raising this issue.

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu.
At a minimum we suggest finding out checking your usage alert notifications to find out why you aren't receiving them.

If your device has a WiFi Assist feature we would also recommmend disabling it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
WilcoWolf
New Contributor
New Contributor

I also have the same issue. I got 3-4 extra gb of data, though I should only be on my 2nd, as somehow, within 5 hours of using up my 30 gb, I watch a few YT vids, and listen to Spotify for free on my plan, yet within 5 hours, I somehow used 2 gb of data. I call BS on it, as I can comfortably use YT all day, and only use 1-2 gb. So for 5 hours worth of YT to equal 2 gb, its annoying, and stupid. 

Also, after switching my account over froom my dads name to mine, I am unable to look at previous data breakdowns, and after I paid this bill, I now cant view any data breakdown.

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there wilcowolf,

There is a known issue that some customers currently can't view their data usage and/or breakdown. Ticket #1907230391

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter or please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu for updates. These teams can also assist with your excess data enquiry when the usage is visible again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Will0210
New Contributor
New Contributor

That's not the point is it? We customers should have the option to put a cap on it, yes just like Vodafone and other competitors. You will lose a lot of clients with this attitude. Too much bs, and we clients don't really like bs.
0 Kudos
LateralNw
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I know this an old post but the question and the answers are still relevant today.

Optus I think you really need to check your phone app as it is very misleading.  It can take over 2 days to report data usage and it also changes the data usage on previous days.  As I said very misleading.

It didn't even know how to report on video data usage.  Odd that it didn't know that UDP is used to carry video.  I see that has been removed from the app now.  Most likely because I was challenging Optus that they didn't know how to count data usage correctly.  I still think they get it wrong.

In summary.  Don't tell the customer to check their data usage when Optus App is misleading the customer.  

You can use the web login page but it seems to go off and not come back.. page times out.  Work around is to go to another option within the login page eg mobile account etc.

And regards to not wanting the $10 for 1GB of data, I was hit with a $170 bill because it didn't tell me I had reached my limit of 65GB but just automatically started charging me $10 per 1GB even though it has an add-on option where I can purchase 30GB for $20?  Can someone explain that logic!!! (don't bother I don't care and already assume it is just the normal greed all companies run on)

A cool option could be just to shut a users data off.  Then they know they can't be over their budget and won't get delightful excess data usage of $170!!!!

In my case I asked the online optus Chat to fix it and they said they did... but they hadn't so off to the TIO I had to go.  Shame really as I had to waste at least a half a day collecting information to supporting my complaint to the TIO.

0 Kudos
Kartika

Appreciate where you are coming from @LateralNw. The usage on the Optus app can be delayed by 4 hrs. There is no reported fault with our My Account website. Does the issue replicate on different browsers? Does clearing the cookies / temporary internet files help? 

We do send customers sms / email usage alerts at 50%, 85% and 100% of their data allowance as well as for each $10 - 1GB top up. Please refer to our → usage alert support page for more info. I have tagged your post as feedback in regards to providing an option to customers to stop their data usage and adding $10 top ups. 

If you still need a hand then just speak with our billing team via the → messaging service to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Update: You may be interested in Endless Data which launched today 🙂

LateralNw
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

With respect Kartika I can only assume you don’t use Optus phone app.
It never reports data within 4hrs or 24hrs.

Optus didn’t send me a 100% usage warning. It never has. I usually purchase more data but last month with the alteration on how Optus process the data request it seemed to have broken data addons.

The Optus system seems to get confused when the customer purchases extra data. The back end systems don’t seem to handshake this information correctly.

The web page is not broken but it never loads the data usage unless I go to another tab within the Optus pages and then return to the usage page.
Is it retrieving data usage live or near live? It doesn’t work correctly. I will check using another browser to see if it is only chrome related.

Re the 10Gb hope Optus does consider updating this process.
0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @LateralNw, we have listened to our customers and introduced → Endless data giving customers the choice to control what happens next when they reach their shared data allowance. In other words no more excess data charges.

You can activate this now via the Optus app by navigating into Service > Extra > Manage Data.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy