Searching...

Re: Watching ABC iView for "free" on iPhone is not so free after all

petergdownload

Well that's back to unusual then. The Optus App Daily breakdown states at the bottom of the screen:

Breakdown displays your total data usage inclusive of any elligible data free services which you are not charged for.

The headline number and the breakdown should definitely not match if you are using any of the free streaming options (and its working)

I would suggest you could probably find the numbers diverge tomorrow. It appears they aren't actually fed from the same database so its possible one will show things the other doesn't at times. Hopefully we won't have to put you through so many back to back episodes of ABC News Smiley Happy

FWIW Optus will probably only take note once the final bill has been issued and you can point to the final numbers. 

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

captainfun
I've been suffering the same issues with ABC iView not getting categorised as unmetered data.
I talked to Optus Support four times trying to solve this issue but they can only believe what their systems are telling them. In the end, I made a complaint in which the case manager has given me more than enough extra data to cover the data the app uses. My problem has been dealt with for now but one day the free data will run out so I thought I'd say my piece here.

I found process put too much faith in the validity of the data put in front of the representative and it was difficult trying to explain that I'm doing to right thing (running the app haha) and the system is wrongly categorising gigabytes of my data. To me it's such a simple fix but the process makes it difficult for the information reach the right person.

My research has found that the ABC iView app mainly streams from these locations. I managed to sniff some traffic requests from the app.
image.png
image.png
Name:    a304.w10.akamai.net
Addresses:  104.115.81.176

Name:    a715.w10.akamai.net
Addresses:  104.115.81.208
Aliases:  iviewwhlsvod-vh.akamaihd.net

image.png
Name:    a513.dscw10.akamai.net
Addresses:  2001:8002:e41:ef00::9587:54b1
          2001:8002:e41:ef00::9587:54a9
Aliases:  abc-iview-mediapackagestreams-1.akamaized.net

Name:    a722.dscw10.akamai.net
Addresses:  2001:8002:e41:ef00::9587:549b
          2001:8002:e41:ef00::9587:54a8
Aliases:  abc-iview-mediapackagestreams-2.akamaized.net

image.png
As you can see from my sample MyOptus app data usage screen, Netflix is correctly identified/categorised and unmetered but ABC iView is getting categorised under Browsing/Akamai. I believe because of this, the billing system in fact counts all of the Browsing/Akamai data as metered and not in fact unmetered.

I hope this information gets to the right person and helps get this fixed!

Cheers,
Rhys

petergdownload

I'll flag this to  @Ray_YC 

Perhaps it will get to the correct department.

Thanks

Peter Gillespie

Ray_YC

Thanks Peter.

As your findings are challenging to describe in detail over the phone, you'd be better off if you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with these details along with your account and ID info.
If not, please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

rich1313

Thanks for posting this . Im on a contract and payed extra for iview and tv streaming services. Using ivew however it still eats into my data alowance and also comes up as akami services.  Fix it please Optus.

Highlighted
Solution

Ray_YC

Hi Rich1313,

We’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please Chat with us or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Boondy

I always thought The free tv streaming was only up to video quality 1.5 mbps . Higher than this is not free . 

The ABC Iview app will use higher video quality as you cannot adjust it to lower quality . Therefore it wont be free . Until iview app is made to adjust to low settings . It doesnt have this ability . It will connect at best quality internet will provide . 

petergdownload

Most ABC iView content is 1.5Mbps or less. Some selected content is available at higher resolutions.

See here

Note that some platforms offer only 1.5Mbps or less so its possible Optus has locked that in for its customers (its just not listed) 

Peter Gillespie

rich1313

Hi thanks spent 4 hours logged into optus chat 2 weeks ago, handed from one person to another which ended in them telling me they would get back to me in 3 days which they did not. Im annoied now because am now charged for 2 extra gigs plus iview fees to which I have not been able to utilise. Optus just dosnt seem to take this seriously

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
3 Kudos
3 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos