cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor VeryPissedOff
New Contributor

Optus fails to abide by own Privacy Policy

You recently sent out some emails about providing some customer information to 3rd parties.

Oddly you didn't send it to all your customers despite it affecting all customers.

You provided scant detail about the information that you would provide (sell) to 3rd parties or who those 3rd parties might be.

You provided a link to opt out that didn't really provide good instructions to opt out. Nevertheless I eventually found the marketing bit deep down in my account and discovered that your website fails whenever one attempts to update preferences.

All that aside the purpose of my post is to assert that you are not abiding by your own Privacy Policy. Take a look at the policy. It clearly says that you will ask permission before providing (selling) any personal information to 3rd parties.

An opt out option is not asking for permission.

Perhaps you'd like to rethink your possition, appologise to your customers and take steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Or would you prefer I take the issue up with the Privacy Commissioner? 

7 Replies
New Contributor Riversong
New Contributor

Re: Optus fails to abide by own Privacy Policy

The only way I could opt out was by phoning customer service. Website doesn't allow to save preferences. I'm pretty annoyed too

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor lynxcat
Occasional Contributor

I couldn't find where you were supposed to opt out as I don't want my private details for all to see.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hi @VeryPissedOff, we do give you the option to opt out of any marketing preferences through My Account.

If you do have any further questions, you can chat with us on 1300 784 937 or through Live Chat HERE

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Heya @lynxcat, you can opt out through My Account by going to Profile > General Marketing.

Let us know if you still need a hand! 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Saying we're going to do this unless you tell us not to is very different from your policy which says you will ask for permission. Something like: we're thinking of doing this would you like to participate, would be more appropriate.

My point stands. Optus has failed to abide by its own policy.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Further: your opt out on your website doesn't work!!

0 Kudos
New Contributor OptOUTpolicy
New Contributor

Opting out did not work for me either.

After reading here, I decided I'd try my luck with Optus chat (couldn't find a link to this from the support page either):

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

It turns out there are two My Profile pages - something I would have liked to have known at the beginning of my 40-minute 'chat' with Optus support, when I had directly requested a URL.

This is the relevant My Profile page. It actually has the option to change your 'General Marketing' preferences.

https://www.optus.com.au/customercentre/myaccount/myprofile

However, I didn't get that link until after Optus had manually changed my marketing preferences for me. So, in summary, I don't even know if submitting the changes online actually works.

40 minutes just to change a simple preference. Very poor, Optus.

Top Contributors