cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus Privacy Struggle

Optus just sent an email explaining changes to their privacy policy.

From 30 July, we may provide trusted 3rd parties and advertisers with anonymous data.

Cick here more information or to opt out of having anonymous data shared with 3rd parties.

Up till this point 10 out of 10. But unfortunately the link above just dumps you back at MY ACCOUNT. 

If you want to actually OPT OUT head to PROFILE > GENERAL MARKETING - I was surprised how much I was still signed up to despite opting out at every possible interaction with Optus.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

10 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus Privacy Struggle

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

What I saw was an absolute surprise.

absolutsurprise.jpg

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A true Lana Morisett moment. Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Same with me. I have been trying since I received the email and get the error message in general marketing. Is it that everyone is trying to change their settings and Optus can't cope with the numbers.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same. Submitting a request to opt out of Marketing in the General Marketing section of the Profile management results in a "Something went wrong" error. They definiately do not want us to opt out !Preventing Marketing Changes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @DaPappy, can you try to select "All Marketing" to ON - untick the Insights option and then turn "All Marketing" back off. Try again to submit. -Scott

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Scott. Thanks for the reply. Did that but still get the same "Something went wrong" message.

BTW: Yesterday Teresa on Live Chat told me that she had turned all Marketing off. Said it would take 4 hours. Checked this morning and all marketing is still on.

Any help appreciated,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I received the same email. Was pretty unimpressed by Optus.

I eventually found the Option to Opt Out under the profile tab (top row of options, next to Dashboard and Billing).

After that, you need to go to General Marketing, and there's sliders to turn things off.

Disturbingly, I found that I was OPT'ed IN for everything, even door to door visits and personalised Advertisements over mobile.

Personally, I found the whole thing obnoxious. It's pretty poor corporate behaviour to sell user data by default, then hide the OPT OUT deep in the user portal.  It's probably worth a TIO enquiry to be honest, or  at least a chat to ACMA to see if they think its legal to sign up end users for Door to Door Marketing by default.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi potatopants,

Agreed, they appear to obfuscate and hide what should be up front with regard to customer service.

Were you able to submit your changes without error ?

0 Kudos