cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Mick1802
New Contributor

Data

When I use all monthly data...is there a way I can choose if I want to buy anymore rather than just be automatically topped up ? Cheers 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: Data

The short answer is no. There has been lots of discussion on this forum and Optus just come back and say it is a service that people want. Why they can't give us an option I can only think is because they make money from it.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If you're not in a contract anymore you could look at pre-paid though. Agree with you both, would be nice to be able to just cut off data when you hit the limit if it's what you want

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Moderator Marie

Hey @Mick1802, @Davelew & @SamSam,

Thanks for your feedback, happy to pass it on to our marketing and billing team.

At this stage it's not something we're able to do.

Cheers.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Marie

You mean not allowed to do? Shaping/Stopping data was in place for a while at Optus but they've disabled the functionality now. Optus will also cut all users off data after 150 automatic 'top ups' - presumably that's the point when the debt becomes Optus' problem instead of the customers?

@Mick1802

If you have an Android or Windows phone then you should be setting up local data warnings and limits. This will stop you incurring top up fees for the time being.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @petergdownload, this is something that's available in the rate plan or the systems. Yeah Android and Windows handsets have these inbuilt features that can help manage data. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Aman_B

Hi Aman, I'm not sure what you mean by "this" ?

Unfortunately customers (and I think all the main Telcos take this approach) have no direct way to limit how much data they buy from Optus or to prevent Optus continuing to charge a steep premium for unwanted data. It seems a bizarre business practice when you say it out loud, but obviously a lucrative one.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

@Marie

Why can't Optus listen to what people want.  There has been some much discussion on this forum from people who don't want an automatic data update so this issue should be escalated within your organisation and the reason why it can't be done explained to your customers. I am sure Optus are losing many customers on their smaller data plans because of these extra costs.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Davelew

I can only assume you're wrong on customer retention Dave. Optus Management seems to have crunched the numbers and decided that the ill will generated is worth it for the cash. Certainly Optus publically acknowledged how important penalty fees were to the bottom line when they (to their credit) stopped the 10c per Mb penalty fees that used to exist (that routinely hit people with $100's every other month)

At least now most Optus customers will only get put out by $10-$30 before they decide to cut the data usage off for the rest of the month at their phone. 

I agree though that probably 50% of (negative) posts to this forum could be gone tomorrow if Optus:

1) Allowed customers some way to set a limit on automatic top ups.

2) Set the monthly Premium SMS limit to $0 by default for new accounts

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

@petergdownload

Hi Peter

Just wanted to get it off my chest.I know what will happen @Marie will report these posts (she's doing her job) and a standard reply along the line of this is what it customers have asked for so we will keep the automatic top up when it is plain to see that it not what is wanted by their customers. Optus will reap the profits and the poor customer has to bear the cost. As you say it is the same as the premium SMS limit.

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos