Searching...

Static IP Data Plan

SWATba

I'm an existing customer and need to install a remote device we can log into with a 4G modem...do the data plans on My Plan Plus SIM Only - Month to Month have a static IP or can you point me to how we can arrange this?

Re: Static IP Data Plan

Paddylee

Static IP is not available on these plans (neither is a public IP address - its all shared IP addresses now).

Last we saw of static IP was on 3g business plans.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

petergdownload

If the remote device is a modem or PC you can usually use a service in the menu called DYDNS (essentially the device updates the website of any change to its external IP). The website hosts a standard URL name linked to the current IP address.

e.g. mydevice.home.net = 154.323.11.56

You just use the mydevice.home.net bit and the service takes care of the rest.

Peter Gillespie

Paddylee

Issue is that the IP you have is shared with 1000's of others - its not a singular public IP address, its Carrier Grade NAT.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted

petergdownload

Missed the 4G modem bit. Thanks @Paddylee.

Peter Gillespie

Paddylee

What would really be great if some company could build an android/iphone app or windows/mac app thatautomatically created a vpn tunnel to an end point that has a dedicated IP address.

We are running out of IP addresses (ipv4 that is) - so this is why carriers are having to use this "sharing" for their mobile services.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
1 Kudo
1 Kudo
1 Kudo