cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mike-F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Why is it impossible to speak with someone at Optus?

I've been an Optus customer since 1997 (internet, mobile phone, landline and previously Optus TV) and yesterday I bought an Optus (Huawei) portable 4G modem with 50 gigs of data. I need it because Optus are going to turn off my internet for 24 hours to investigate a fault. I had to buy the modem from Officeworks as my two closest Optus stores didn't have them in stock. It was an Optus sales rep who advised me to get it from Officeworks. On-line activation asked me to provide my current mobile number and then gives me selection of new numbers available. I don't want to change my current number, I want to activate a new SIM. I messaged Optus and was asked to provide the phone and account numbers associated with the new SIM. I don't know what they are and the Optus rep ended up telling me to go back to Officeworks to get them activate it. No help at all. I've rung the various phone numbers Optus provide for their support, but these just tell me to go on-line to activate!! Seriously? Does anyone know a number I can ring to speak with a real person about this matter?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Tuong_YC

Re: Why is it impossible to speak with someone at Optus?

Hey @Mike-F, I'm sorry to see you feel this way, its certainly not what we want for you.  With the impacts of the Covid-19 and governmental regulations for safety precautions such as social distancing and limit in numbers, much of our Customer Care teams have been effected and so we at the moment we are not always able to respond in an immediate manner.

Nonetheless though, I would be more than happy to advise in the best possible way via this channel. Although I will not be able to speak on services and products purchased from third parties such as Officeworks, you can Activate the SIM card online at all times online. Just follow the replacement prompts and the number will be up and running soon after. 

I can understand that this can be slightly confusing, the recommendations provided by our teams are required. Once the sim is activated, the number will generate which will make your account active and accessible.

If yo have any troubles doing this yourself, our teams in store would be more than happy to advise on the activation and walk you through this process in real time. You can Find your local Optus Store online as well - which will provide you address and contact information. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Mike-F  Another option is to look at the following youtube video for activating an Optus data sim as it may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ-AGifPGSE

Activate on: optus.com.au or optus.com.au/activateThe new Optus activation allows you to activate sim using credit card or paypal apart from the traditional ...
Mike-F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

My question is this (which the on-line Optus customer support rep. couldn't answer).

Will selecting a new number only apply to the new SIM, or will it replace my current mobile number which I had to provide in the on-line activation process?

The reason I ask is that there are two options with the phone number for activation of the SIM; they are "Get a new number/Keep your number". That’s the bit that confuses me, as it states that “caller ID will be enabled on your service…. which you can turn on/off via the setting in your phone”.

Remembering that this for a portable modem, not a phone as such, confirmation that I won't be de-registering my current mobile number would be appreciated - if indeed that's the case. Again, it's something the on-line support rep couldn't answer.

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

Hi Mike, thank you for your response. 

Could I confirm if the SIM Activation that you are referring to is for your 4G Modem with 50GB of Data (Huawei E5573 4G Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi modem) that you purchased from Officeworks? If so we have a Yes Crowd article that includes a set-up guide and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). 

When you purchase a SIM for a mobile service you have the choice of choosing a new number or porting in an existing number from another service provider. Your 4G Modem would be a separate service from your mobile service. So I would recommend setting up a new service number for your 4G Modem service. You can activate your SIM card online via our online SIM activation portal.

Once activated, you can view your service (and service number) via your My Account or My Optus App. If you would like us to take a closer look at your account, I would recommend reaching out to our Customer Care again on 133 937 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm, Sat: 9am - 5pm) or visiting your closest Optus Store where our friendly team can get you set up and walk you through the activation process. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Mike-F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again for your response.

As I outlined earlier, yes it is for the Optus (Huawei) modem.

Am I correct in saying that if I choose a new number it then applies to the modem; and not to my current mobile phone? This is the question I've been trying to resolve.

I know this may seem repetitive to you but it is important.

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

That should be the case, @Mike-F. If you are activating your Huawei E5573 4G Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi modem you should be assigned a new number during activation. Your mobile service is a separate service. So it should not be affected. 

Mike-F
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well this is just fabulous.

I activated the SIM and it worked so that I had access to the internet while the Optus turned off my service for 24 hours to investigate a problem. Fault ref: 100197565. Tech phoned me and said he'd be in constant SMS contact with me - haven't heard a word, don't know if problem has been fixed.

My service has just now been re-instated, but all my saved and undeleted emails have been deleted along with one of my five email addresses. These emails were absolutely crucial to me. Folders, contacts and emails gone.

I phoned 13 39 37 to try and get assistance and I was sent a link from Optus_Care so that I could message them through the My Optus app.

I did that and the automated response (after that bot system couldn't help me) was to "stay on the line" and a tech would be available to help me. Waited 20 minutes...nothing, zilch.

What am I supposed to do? I'm desperate to get those emails back and to find out if my problems been fixed.

0 Kudos
Kartika

Sorry to hear about your Optusnet email issue @Mike-F. Seems like an email provisioning issue. Since this is a public forum we can`t access customers account details here. As such your best to speak with our Technical Support team by calling them on → 133 697 - Mon - Sun: 8am - 8pm to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Mike-FPrevious users have not been able to get Optus to restore emails. If I am wrong please let me know.

You may want to have a look at the third response on the following thread:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/My-Account/Email/m-p/638218

Hope you have copies or backups of your mail on your PC......

0 Kudos