Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Wireless Broadband losing internet connection

I just received my B818 wireless modem yesterday. When it works its great but I've lost the internet connection several times over the past 2 days...the status light goes out. I can power it off and back on but wondering what the issue would be? Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wireless Broadband losing internet connection

Poor signal perhaps? Have you tried moving it around as often a couple of feet in either direction can make a big difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks...I'll try moving it to a different location and post the result
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Up high preferably away from corners and large metal appliances. Some suggest near windows however that is not always practical.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

i had similar issue. 

in my case i had 4g only plan

the modem was set to auto and when 4g was not available it reverted to 3g

but it would not revert back to 4g when it was available again.

it required restart. 

after setting the modem to 4g only it helped, but the backend in optus also has to be set.  and it took weeks before a technician looked at it and work it out.  hope this helps you get it fixed sooner than it took me.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

go to rfnsa.com.au

enter your postcode and use the filters to search for Optus, 4G, 4G+

Locate the closest tower and position the modem in the best position near a window if practicle with the front facing toward the tower

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hey guys, we've raised this issue with Networks. 

I've seen similar threads started throughout the week. From what I can tell, customers are being forced to restart their modems after the device that was connected to WiFi goes idle or into sleep mode. 

They'll run carry out testing and report back to us. Once we've got more info, I'll bump a few of threads with an update. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Blog Author

There is a known issue that causes the modem to try and find a 3G signal. The issue becomes more apparent if you've placed your modem in a location with a poor 4G signal. 

Our Wireless Broadband service does not support 3G, so despite reverting to 3G - you will not have an actual working 3G service.

If this happens to the modem then there are some workarounds:

• Move your modem to another location with a better 4G signal i.e. closer to a window
  • Lock the modem to 4G only via modem web user interface (the IP address and login info can be found on the back of your device)
  • If possible, connecting the modem to external antennas could help, but you'll need to source your own antennas
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey Dan

Was there an update to this testing as I’m having the same problem.

Cheers
0 Kudos