Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Suggestion for Optus re Account Closure, Cancellation

Hi @Optus , @Ray_YC , @Dan_C  
There has been some posts in the Yes Crowd where people have closed accounts and their contact email address is an Optus email account. For various reasons further correspondence is required Outstanding Bill, etc,
I was thinking if Optus could look at modifying their systems to red flag this as it seems on the surface leading to bad PR for Optus when people are getting bills that they have no chance to access due to the email account being closed.

I am an Optus user.
10 Replies
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Suggestion for Optus re Account Closure, Cancellation

Hi Tigers1719,

Here's a sneak peak at part of a frontline agent's cancellation procedure:

Step 4: Check address

Will there be active services remaining on the account?

• No: Check we have the correct billing address in the system, if not update accordingly
  • Yes: Go to the next step

Important: Final bill will be sent along with any refund cheques to the billing address at time of cancellation.

So as per above, the final bill is sent to the customer's billing address, providing we have the correct one 🙂 

I have seen the posts you've mentioned, I can only assume these customers haven't received the final bill yet in the mail (it's sent at the same time of the month they usually get their bill, not a few days later unless it worked out that way with the timing of the cancellation) or we don't have their right billing address so they'll need to contact Optus to request to be sent a reprint.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ray_YC wrote:
Step 4: Check address

Will there be active services remaining on the account?

• No: Check we have the correct billing address in the system, if not update accordingly
  • Yes: Go to the next step

Important: Final bill will be sent along with any refund cheques to the billing address at time of cancellation.

And is this the case if they have elected to have email bills?

This other issue that pops up is that they lose access to My Account/App as soon as its cancelled so that there is no easy mechanism to verify cancellation/final bill or deal with outstanding issues. 

These should be a decent grace period (say 45 days after last outstanding issue is resolved) where the customer can still access Account/App.

Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Ray_YC  Thanks Ray I thought there would be something in the system. I understand there are a lot of factors involved.

I am an Optus user.
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Yes agree 100% with that, we passed on that feedback/suggestion a long time ago. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

On the back of @Ray_YC 's comment

@YetAnotherAcc 

I'll paraphrase an extract from our internal content/communications team ( intended for our front line agents):

Final bill delivery method

• The customers final bill will be sent via the delivery method selected in the relevant billing system i.e. paper or electronic billing

On your other point, that's something I'll need to confirm the MOA/My account team. I do think you're correct though. As soon as the service is disconnected, information about said service won't be available in the app or My Account.

These should be a decent grace period (say 45 days after last outstanding issue is resolved) where the customer can still access Account/App.

I agree.

We'll raise it with our customer experience team and see if we get anywhere. 

Cheers guys, @YetAnotherAcc  @Tigers1719 (new avatar I see, love it 😉

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

I've passed it on guys 🙂 I'll keep you both updated here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Dan_C wrote:
Final bill delivery method
  • The customers final bill will be sent via the delivery method selected in the relevant billing system i.e. paper or electronic billing

So Customer has set to receive email bills going to their optusnet.com.au email account, the customer loses access to email as a result of closing account, and so customer will not be able to receive final bill. So, just a teeny weeny problem there 🤔.

Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

The Optus email remains active for 90-days after the cancellation of the service linked to their Optusnet email.

It's actually automated. However, agents can go in and extend it.
0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc 

"So Customer has set to receive email bills going to their optusnet.com.au email account, the customer loses access to email as a result of closing account, and so customer will not be able to receive final bill."
As I recall that has been the issue raised in the posts I have read.
Maybe the Customers do not realise the Email account remains active for a period after the account is closed , they do not bother checking their Optus Email or even delete their account. 

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos