Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

LandLine Only activation

I have placed an order for an Optus Landline Only service for my relative.
As they are elderly, they don't need/use internet services, they just need a standard telephone handset to make and receive phone calls (yep, old school)

However, I have received an email that a Self Install Kit is being delivered, but confused since we did not require internet - so don't need a modem (I'm assuming that's what is in the self-install kit)

Question:
Does Optus Landline still require an NBN Modem for Telephone services to be used?
What is in the Self Install Kit - we are only activating a Telephone line.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: LandLine Only activation

@CDee26  

Does Optus Landline still require an NBN Modem for Telephone services to be used? 

The Optus supplied modem is required as the settings to access the VOIP service are in the Optus Supplied modem.

I do not know what is in the Self Install Kit and I would imagine Optus would have several kits depending on what technology is being used at the Property to connect to the NBN.

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

In the age of NBN the old telephone service no longer exists and all telephone service are delivered over the internet. It is unlikely that the service will not be on NBN.

What is in the Self Install Kit - we are only activating a Telephone line.

Enter their address here to see what type of NBN connection they will get. That will determine what the self install kit will contain.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses.
So I guess we should be expecting a modem of some sort for the landline service.
Interestingly, when we spoke with the Optus consultant during sign up, I asked the same question- and he replied that no hardware would be required other than the telephone handset connected to the wall socket.
He mentioned it would be a “backend” process at Optus to activate the telephone service.
It seems he was mistaken.
In any case, will wait and see what transpires. Thanks again.
I’ll go ahead and close this post for now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@CDee26 wrote:
I asked the same question- and he replied that no hardware would be required other than the telephone handset connected to the wall socket.

It wouldn't be the first time Optus  support have given out conflicting info.

He mentioned it would be a “backend” process at Optus to activate the telephone service.
It seems he was mistaken.

The only time it would be a backend only process is if the area is not "NBN Ready" yet,

In any case, will wait and see what transpires.

Do let us know what it turned out to be.

0 Kudos