Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor Campbelduck
Occasional Contributor

wyy

Why do Optus fluctuae the level of service you get as a customer.

my dowload spead has been as high as 39.8

for the last 2 days l have been getting 0.42 laughable

And yet no one from optus wants to tlk to me about this

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: wyy

That is a strange number? Are you on the NBN?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Have you check if there is any outage or work in your area? Also, is there a patent of poor speed performace, ie at a particular time of the day or all the time. Are there any other devices using the connection? Are you testing the speed via a cable or wifi?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

You sound like an optus employee

There is no logical reason as to why I am getting piss poor NBN from Optus,

My son inlaw who lives 100 meters down the road has excellent Optus internet

The people next to me have great NBN internet.

Not I though. The technical support team are next to useless

They never call me back when I am told they will.

Optus you have such a long way to go when it comes to customer service

To clarify I have

1 laptop

2 smart phones

in the house, all 3 are hardly used , so there is no drain . The fact is there is nothing to drain from. the download spead is a pathetic 0.42 at this moment in time

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Technical support may be useless but as a customer you are also proving pretty useless.

Perhaps if you could answer just one of the questions asked instead of providing your own answers? 

It could be helpful

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

fully read my rant and you will see that I have answered the question

So take a step back or dont bother with you 2 cents worth

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Step back taken. I empathise with the rant. Understand that this forum is just fellow customers trying to help each other out.

Are you on the NBN? Answered

Have you checked if there is any outage or work in your area? Inferred.

Is there a pattern of poor speed performace, ie at a particular time of the day or all the time.? Unanswered

Are there any other devices using the connection? Answered

Are you testing the speed via a cable or wifi? Unanswered.

What technology is your NBN using? FTTN? Cable?

I take it you are on a 50Mbps plan?

What upload speeds are you getting?

Peter Gillespie

Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Lets all be nice to each other. @Campbelduck I understand your frustration, I too have experience download speed of 0.5Mbps for an extensive period of time. It is to the point of not usable to use the internet during PEAK time. Please understand that other members are trying to help and it is difficult to identify the issue when there are many many areas that could cause the issue(s). 

I too understand where @petergdownload is coming from. He is a well respected contributor in this forum and I have high regards for him. It is also frustrating when you are trying to help but not able to have all the information or responsive to provide the details. All the questions asked are relevent to identify or trying to pin point the issue that causes your poor internet experience. 

Some of the area that could caused the speed issue. 

1. The NBN network

2. The hardware (cable) connection to your home.

3. The congestion in your node.

4. Area outage

5. The wiring from the in point to your modem.

6. The modem

7. The end devices.

8. Optus not have enough quota

9. Account issue or incorrect backend configuration

I pressume you have reported the issue with optus technical support, maybe get an update on see where it is at. In the mean time, you can troubleshoot and see if it is anything for the path from the outside of your home to your devices that could cause the speed issue. 

Sorry for the long post, however, the more details you provide and the troubleshooting steps that you and optus has taken would help other to better understand the issue and might able to provide you with some tips to resolve it. 

For the record, I am not an Optus employee.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for my rant, the ongoing frustration I have with optus is lets just say dam annoying.

I am uing wifi, I have tried the cable to see if there is a difference , There is but only very very small  maybe 0.05 faster.

I spent an hour on the phone tonight trying to cancell my account, I was on hold then they just sid the area I needed to tak o had gone home .

I checed my download speed and guess what it peeked at 46 wow te best it has ever been. It is stll running at 33.5 which I am happy with.

I find it amusing that as a customer I have to threaten and want to close my account to force Optus to fix the problem. 

So it is not a line problem

It is not a connection problem

Its an Optus problem

Once again sorry if came across as a total tool 🙂

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Well said @SillyGogo (I can get a little bellicose with a beer or two).

@Campbelduck, It may be your solution is to just cancel the contract however IMO its probably unlikely to resolve the issues as what you describe is more likely to be NBN related and not Optus related (and every RSP uses the same NBN cables)

The dramatic drop in speeds are good news, in that they point to a definite fault. Its not just congestion or some dodgy wiring etc. With a definite fault, there should also be a definite fix. Its still not possible to suggest a likely approach as key diagnostic information is still missing, such as what NBN tech you are on and are you testing speeds via a wired connection and what is the upload speed when the download is 0.5?

Optus are your liason to the NBNCo and you can requestoptus send out a technician to test the street connections through to your home. I'm guessing but I suspect the issue is probably in the pits in the street. If that's wrong and the issue is in your home then you will be liable for a $250 call out fee  from Optus though.

Peter Gillespie