Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor FINISH
New Contributor

why must i connect to a network? because i want out

hi i have a prepaid dongle which i plug into the USB port on my laptop.
unfortunately it forces me to join a local nertwork which are just hackers who bypass the dated optus security very quickly and suck out my credit.
today they used 3 and a half gigabyes before i noticed.
I have asked this question here before but a man named phillip or peter phillpot who obviously works for optus shut the question down.
His view ( incorrect b.t.w.) is that hackers would not bother to access my internet so i was asking a pointless question firstly.And secondly because i didnt accept his reasoning i deserved to have my question closed for further answers.

The problem with his bizzare reasoning is that hackers do indeed think its worth hacking into  my account and simply use my internet at will unless i pull the dongle out of my laptop.
i didnt ask it for fun.
They obviously have a computer program that does the hacking.

So in order to prevent this theft i would like to know how i can use the internet dongle which plugs directly into my computer without joining a local network.
What are the settings? Where do i go on my laptop (windows 10) and how do i access that area.
Windows defender is off and i dont see any option to turn it back on as the buttons when i open  that page are  just blanked out.
Which is what you would do if you had access to my laptop remotely i suppose.
Please i really need some kind of answer not another  buffoon from Optus telling me i dont have a problem

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: why must i connect to a network? because i want out

Hi Finish,

You're post has never been "shutdown" AFAIK - it is no longer on Page 1 though. You can find your original thread here. I left you with some follow up questions so you might be able to better secure your network. I'll respect your wishes and keep out of this thread and hopefully others will provide some helpful advice.

FWIW the moderators here (of which I'm not one btw) are generally pretty good at leaving the forum open (As you can see by the myriad of unhappy posts before yours.)

Regards

Peter Gllespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor FINISH
New Contributor

please leave me alone, thats 2 emails from the same guy im trying to avoid who obviously works for optus

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @FINISH, @petergdownload does not work for Optus. He is a community member. I've had a quick glance at your original thread and there's really not much I can add. If you want to use the internet you simply must connect to a network. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos