cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: what is the initial username and password of Sagemcom Fast 3864AC NBN OV Modem?

I feel your pain.
You can find instructions and other 'tools' on GitHub at I feel your pain.

You'll find instructions and other 'tools' on GitHub at https://github.com/mattimustang/optus-sagemcom-fast-3864-hacks There are instructions for other OS as well. This is what worked for me.
Whether this will now work for you though depends on the firmware of your modem (and some luck) as Optus has patched much of their later hardware.
IMHO, you'd be better off both from a security and functionality standpoint getting your own 3rd-party router on which you can install and run your own software. High quality open source software like OpenWRT, DD-WRT or Tomato - not the rubbish firmware on these stock, telco provided ones that rarely get any security patches and are full of vulnerabilities - like the one you are trying to exploit. 🙂
Good luck!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: what is the initial username and password of Sagemcom Fast 3864AC NBN OV Modem?

Totally agree, and thanks for the link anyway. Do not waste time on this - Optus/Telstra DO NOT want you to access this area of your modem. Get a 3rd Party router, d-Link etc I use Netgear Nighthawk. These modern routers do the bridging for you in the setup wizard. Then you can forget about your optus modem router. Download the user guides to 3rd party modem before you buy and see how easy it is.

Last thing DO NOT USE an  optus email address. Another time waster. There are heaps of options from outlook to gmail and others that are free and for a small fee get your own family or business domain and you're set for life in email address department. Optus do not monitor spam, limit the number of email addresses, do unforeseen changes to their SLOW email system that will have you banging your head against a brickwall. Emails are just not their market nor should it be.

And once again thanks to TechMed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you TechMech but, I even have that page bookmarked. My issue is that I have now 4 NBN compatible routers I can use (and many others not 5Ghz) sitting at home. One of them is still in its box unopened. They are a waste and clutter.

Having worked in this industry for 2 decades I have ended up with a collection of devices that are simply a waste sitting around unused. If I take the Exetel router I am merely adding to that especially whilst I have 4 which be can used. 

Problems I am experiencing are:
1 - Frustratingly, as soon as I connect (via LAN cable) to any router to configure I lose my internet connection. I even changed the IP address for this router as per below URL and still the same. Any idea how I can keep my internet connection while I configure another router? I am literally switching between the 2 at the moment by pulling out the LAN cable to reply here.

2 - It is not giving me the login popup today (even after rebooting) to enter my password when I go to http://192.168.0.2/main.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated to stop my OCD mind from frying. Info below: 🙂

Software Version:10.52.1_F@ST3864V3AC_Optus
Bootloader (CFE) Version:10.33

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks andus58. These routers are going to continue to niggle at me.

A couple of clarifications
1 - I do not need to bridge my routers but, the option to bridge them is there for the Optus router if I want. I think Telstra has it too. Nevertheless, bridging is not what I want. That is another router clutter I do not need.

2 - OMG I would NEVER NEVER NEVER use the Optus email again. I know about that useless piece of cr*p Optus email, which I stopped using years ago. Yet, still receiving thousands of spam when I open it up every 4 years or so. I was so sick of Optus not doing anything about them that I would open up the headers of the dozens of spam emails I would get, report them to their respective country's authorities. Such exhausting exercise for an OCD.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you... Not my work; I originally got this from a Whirlpool forum post.

Basically you need to WAN not LAN... Also I have posted before - the Sagem modem is limited re the number of allocations/devices it can allow - I think its 16 maybe each for 2.4/5 ghz off top of my head so another reason not to rely on it too much.

" Optus Sagemcom in Bridge Mode
Optus Sagemcom in Bridge Mode (almost) For (semi-technical) people who want to get around the
limitations of the crippleware Optus Sagemcom modem ...

The ideal would be to replace the modem with a much better modem/router and just put the Sagemcom modem into the cupboard. However, if you want to use the home phone facility, Optus makes it almost impossible to dispense with their crippleware modem. In any case you need to keep the Sagemcom for when you have an internet problem and then you can reconnect it (before you contact Optus) to decide whether the problem was with your "real" modem or the NBN network. I've heard people asking about using the Optus Optus modem in bridge mode and then adding their own modem/router of choice but Optus don't support bridging and the home phone service would probably stop working if you did put the modem in bridge mode. (actually it does but you can't get to it)

So ... There is an easy way to (almost) get the modem into bridge mode.

 Turn off the WIFI in the Optus Sagemcom modem
 Connect the WAN port of your "real" modem to one of the Sagemcom's Ethernet ports
 Identify the MAC address of the WAN port on your "real" modem and reserve an IP address
for that MAC address in the Sagemcom modem (Advanced Setup / LAN then ENABLE DHCP
SERVER and click on ADD ENTRIES) Often the MAC address of the WAN port is printed on a
label on the bottom of the router but you should also be able to see it if you go into the
Sagemcom modem and choose DEVICE INFO and then DHCP
 Note that in my own network I have the Sagemcom modem set to IP Address 192.168.47.1
and not 192.168.0.1 (so that I can setup VPNs to other networks with the IP sdubnet of
192.168.0.x). So if the IP address of the Sagemcom is 192.168.0.1 then reserve the IP
address of 192.168.0.2 for your "real" modem's WAN port MAC address).
 Now when you plug your real modem into the Sagemcom it's WAN IP address will always be
192.168.0.2 (but if you plug it into a different network with a different sub-net it will still
work OK - much better than setting a fixed IP address in the "real" modem)
 Set the DMZ address in the Sagemcom modem to be 192.168.0.2 (Advanced Setup / NAT /
DMZ Host)
 Now (almost) all network traffic should automatically go through to your "real" modem with
no firewall issues from the Sagemcom modem
In my case my modem of choice is a Fritzbox because it has better quality WiFi, it is more open
with many more options AND it has a built in DECT phone base station. So I also connect the home
phone socket on the Sagemcom modem to the phone input socket on the Fritzbox modem. The
end result of this is that almost all of the functionality of the Fritzbox modem is now available as if
it was the only modem/router in my setup - including the VOIP phone line being accessible from
my DECT phones.
The disadvantages? I am running two modem/routers with extra cabling which add extra failure
points to my system I am wasting power because I am running the Sagemcom modem when I
don't really want to do so. I have to have an extra power point. I had to supply an extra short
network cable and an extra short phone cable between the two devices."...

So in my case the secondary router that acts as DHCP server is 192.168.1.1... This has worked perfectly for me - and recently I have added a mesh extender using the same network name.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Exactly as it says, bridging is not a practical solution and is not what I want because my aim is to NOT add another router to the clutter at home. Though, seems I have to submit and get a new router for my new ISP but, running by itself not bridged.

I am using the LAN connection to get into the router to reconfigure it. I would need WAN to test it if I am able break into it because I have been able to enable VOIP.
NB: Yes, these routers are unlocked to allow internet use with other ISPs. The VOIP is locked. If I cannot get to use the home phone what is the point?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Agree, regrettably - VOIP; what's the point. That's where I gave up. Optus, be more transparent and at least tell people what the issue is for you and why you don't want to allow access. It's not as if you invented VOIP. Been around for years.

Good luck.
0 Kudos