Searching...

unbelievably slow Cable speeds!

Andy-G

seriously, what is going on with this congestion over Cable! my internet has been unusable over the past 4 weeks now. Speeds below 5Mbps during the day and even worse speeds of 3Mbps at night. COMPELTELY UNUSABLE! playing any online game gets ping of upward to 200ms, unable to download any new steam games and even watching YouTube tanks at 480p. i use to be averaging 80Mbps. i haven't suffer this bull since Netflix launch in Australia and my internet was solidly crap for 3 months straight.

this is pissing my off.

Re: unbelievably slow Cable speeds!

Toomey

Not good to hear @Andy-G. Have you raised an investigation with Tech Support?

If there's an issue with congestion in your area, and no ETR can be provided, you can speak with the Retention Team on 133937 to discuss your contract options while this is on-going.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Possum

I've the same problem here in Brisbane/Paddington.  It started approx 4 weeks ago and contacting Optus is useless. They 'guide' you through the 'usual'  routine (switching of the modem/reconnecting etc).  Early mornings (before 6 am) the speed is nearly back to normal (30 Mbps) but then back between 2-3 Mbps).  I'm on a contract for unlimited fusion 30Mbps and considering to contact the Ombudsman in order to get out of my contract. On the ground that Optus is in preach of the contract and offering no solution.  I never had problems re the speed before, but since the announcement of Nbn (installation between Jan -June 2018) in our area the problem has started. I assume Optus just throttled down the bandwidth ..........

Spoiler
Smiley Mad

KazStar

I agree!!

I find it abhorrent that I pay over $120 a month for something that renders useless, it's now 2018 and we have the slowest network on the planet I guarrante it!

The only reason I use Optus is because it offers the bundle callany Australian number for fre with my internet but the internet is crap! They have so far replaced the modem up to 8 times and it's nothing to do with the modem, its the bloody tower which is always the issue, the tower is within metres of our house and it's constantly displayed as red
We are within this red circle and it has been this way for up to 10 months!!

joke.PNG

Optus, get your bloomin act together!
You are always ready to blame it on congestion or some modem issues when its the damn towers in the area!
Today I got a call from one of your staff that failed to read my detailed message about how the tower circled above is within walking distance to our home and is always showing as red there is another past the river that is green I guarantee that is the one we are scrounging internet off hence the poor reception! He was ready to say it was my modem, its still a new modem! Then he said oh, I will have to get back to you. His call was at 10am it's now 7pm and no follow up call has come through whatsoever!

FIX THIS TOWER!! OR GIVE ME MY INTERNET FOR FREE!!

Whilst others in surrounding suburbs never appear to have issues this bloody one has never appeared as green it's always been red and no mongrel is doing a damn thing about it!! I think you should only charge us $10 if anything, for the amount of actual internet we can use and any other person because your internet is abhorrent!

Karen

[ Edited ]
KazStar

@Toomeyyou can report it till the cows come home and all you get is a technician handing you a new modem!
I could be sitting my laptop on top of the modem and still get drop outs! I can understand once you go over a certain amount of data then it slows down but come on! It's only the 9th of January and watching a video on Youtube has it pausing and loading I can't even do a Google livestream without it looking like it's a dial up modem it goes pixelated and freezes! It's just disgusting!

As outlined it's the tower its always in red and it's been that way since I can remember, they need to redo the whole thing so the tower actually caters to the location instead of having to have other towers resource and become congested because of people outside that area trying to access internet.

For all we know the tower also provides for oter internet providers like Telstra and iPrimus and others etc..
Maybe that's why you don't lift a finger to fix the tower, but quite content on putting your hand out for the money!

It's just ot acceptable! It's gone beyond the joke and none of your disgruntled customers are laughing!

Karen

Possum

Just an update re  slow download speed (cable). After 4 weeks of a pathetic slow download speed (between 5 -10 kbps) suddenly (just now) the 'normal' speed is back (2500-3000 kbps).  But only for 30 minutes, then back to 60 kbps. For goodness sake Optus, get your act together! Are you playing cat&mouse with your customers?  Distributing frustration between your customers by reducing download speed  up to a 'boiling point' then giving 'normal speed' back for a while just to calm down the customer ? What the heck is going on?  I've been an Optus customer for almost 10 years, but enough is enough.Smiley Mad 

johnnyred

johnnyred

We are still waiting for the promised compensation

Possum

I'm cautiously optimistic that Optus might have fixed the problem: smileyindifferent: The (cable) download speed is back to normal for now approx the last 20 hours (2500-3000 kbps). However, it took Optus over 4 weeks to rectify the problem without admitting there was a problem; under the motto blame the customer first and see what happens. Transparency, Optus, transparency!  I don't mind to be told there is a problem and it might take a while to be fixed. At least the customer can stop to 'fish in the dark', spending time, effort and money to look for a 'non-existing' computer/router/modem problem. Yes, very slow download speed can have multiple reasons, not always easy to pinpoint where the problem is and an elimination process is necessary. In my case, it was crystal-clear (without repeating the reasons why) that it only could have been a problem Optus would need to fix.  Instead, your customer/ support service took  (a priory) Optus out of the equation and indirectly blamed the customer for the problem. Needless to say, an attitude like this is really, really bad for good customer relations. In the long run, you will not only lose credibility but also customers.

Andy-G

Yes, i've contacted Tech-support and they always give me no answer. ETR is never provided even when i ask for it.  Now everytime i reset my modem, 20 minutes in it crashes and disconnects every device multiple times. i'm still sitting at 3Mbps on a 100/1Mbps Cable line. i WOULD move to NBN, however they've taken it upon themselves to not build in my area despite covering the entirety of Yarraville. Optus have been nothing but pain for the past 3 years, but i hear NBN is just as worse. 

123.png

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
74 Kudos
72 Kudos
53 Kudos
38 Kudos
24 Kudos