Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mjr320
New Contributor
New Contributor

switching to NBN

I am currently an optus cable customer and i am looking to switch to the NBN , but what happens to the optus cable connection running into the modem/router ? is it just unscrewed and left their or what happens to it and will they need to run a new copper line as the phone is connected through the modem not the old copper line

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jono_YC

Re: switching to NBN

Hi @mjr320 thanks for reaching out. It's honestly hard to say without looking into the specifics of your current cable connection. We recommend speaking directly to our NBN migration team for more information. 

They're available on 1800 306 987, Mon - Fri, 8am - 9pm (AEST) Sat, 9am - 7pm (AEST) Sun, 9am - 6pm (AEST).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: switching to NBN

but what happens to the optus cable connection running into the modem/router ? is it just unscrewed and left their

The NBN does not use the Optus HFC cable, even if you have an NBN HFC connection, so the cable between the wall socket and modem can be dumped after you switch.

what happens to it and will they need to run a new copper line

That will depend on what type of NBN connection you get. If you enter your address here and check the "technology type" section, it will tell you what type of NBN connection you will get.

as the phone is connected through the modem not the old copper line

The phone will be connected to the newly supplied Optus modem.