Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ozlowes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

sagemcom 5366 guest network

Does the sagemcom 5366 have a guest network. I have a tenant that I need to share internet access with. I don't want to give them my password and compromise my network security. I have had conflicting information from Optus customer service.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Steven_YC

Re: sagemcom 5366 guest network

Hey @ozlowes - Thanks for sharing this. From what has been discussed with a colleague, this isn't a feature the modem supports. 

The alternative routes would be to set up a Google Mesh/WiFi system in which will assist with your security. Other set-ups that come to mind are Tp-Links. 

I have also flagged this for feedback. I will let you know if we have any updates on this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
ozlowes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

All modems should support it as offering guests access to your wifi is common courtesy in modern times.
If we give our tenant our family's regular password, and presuming they are not a dedicated hacker/stalker, what are the things in our network that they could inadvertently access/change/interupt?
0 Kudos
Steven_YC

There's a raft of things one can do, should they be able to access the WiFi password. If you're concerned about this, I would avoid providing the password altogether and perhaps getting an additional set up to mitigate the risk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
ozlowes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Could you give a 101 explanation of how I provide wifi access/password, without compromising my security. I have an old Optus modem - would that help somehow. I understand I could give them the 2.4Ghz band with a separate password - would this prevent them from interfering with all our things plugged into 5.0?
0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Yes you can change the password for the 2.4Ghz and provide this to them so that they can access the internet. They won't be able to interfere with your 5.0Ghz network as they wouldn't have the password. This does mean though that the modem settings can be seen such as devices logged in etc.

You may want to look at router options to ensure your security is kept.

Another option that comes to mind is perhaps avoiding this altogether and seeing if they are interested in a Wireless Broadband option which is separate to your home internet.

AndS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@ozlowesAnother option if you are NOT using the 5366 for SIP is to buy a decent modem with guest support outright and replace it.

If you are using SIP then from what I have seen you will have to stay with the 5366 as Optus does NOT give out the SIP info you require to setup a modem.

0 Kudos
ozlowes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So if they are on 2.4, they can see the devices connected but they can’t access them ans see content on our devices Eg. laptop, phone?
0 Kudos
Nard_YC

That's correct @ozlowes. I'd recommend disabling the 2.4Ghz WiFi signal on your 5366TN modem if you're planning to use 2.4GHz on an older modem so you don't get confused between two modems both broadcasting the 2.4GHz network.

ozlowes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Can’t I just use the 2.4ghz on the 5366 for them. So name it guest, give it a new password. Ensure all our devices are on 5.0 with another name and unique password? They won’t see our device content. I won’t need a second modem.
0 Kudos