Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
brjgordon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

reporting a faulty landline

I have been with Optus for longer than I can remember and until now I have been very happy with the service Optus has provided. On Sunday night 11 February a storm caused the loss of my connection to the internet. Since Optus a year or two ago connected my landline through the cable internet and my modem I also lost my landline. When I reset the modem I regained the connection to the internet but my landline was still dead. My landline number is *moderated*.

I endeavored all day Monday to report the fault to Optus via both my mobile and internet chat on Optus website. The chat window kept telling me “We are unable to establish chat connection” and I have extremely poor coverage for my mobile where I live and could not stay connected for the 45 minutes I had to wait. I tried several times during the day but could not report the fault.

After trying again Tuesday morning with the same results I decided to drive to Toowong to visit the Optus Shop hoping they could help me report the fault. The sales person there after a considerable wait connected me to someone on his mobile and I spent 10 minutes identifying myself, answering questions concerning the problem. The technician Renish said my landline was ringing and was there anyone home to answer it. My wife was home but the phone was not ringing at home. Renish then said I would need to be home for him to carry out some testing procedures. He said he would ring me back on my mobile in an hour at 12 noon when I was at home. I did not hear from him again.

Again that afternoon I tried to report the fault and rang the Optus number, went through till the very end of the menu “ for anything else press…” and there was again a 40 min wait. I was so frustrated at this situation I decided to ring sales and got onto someone straight away. The woman said she would put me through to faults and I found myself back in the 40 min wait queue. My phone drops out well before the wait time is up. I did this three times and eventually a Rebecca tried to put me through to Renish but found she could not access him. She said she would put through a complaint email to Complaints.

I had no contact on Wednesday and tried again several times but the wait time was too long for my very poor mobile coverage. Eventually I got onto a Paul in chat from the Broadband & NBN Technical Team. After 5 mins telling him the problem he told me to turn my modem off for 30 secs and turn it back on. I told him I had done this twice but he said try it again. When I turned it back on I had lost contact with him and could not reestablish contact. At 4.23 pm I got onto a Thelma from the same team. After some discussion with her and as she said “I am trouble shooting from my end”. She said she had made some changes. But my landline remains dead. She then said “ I see that there is some line issue. However not sure of it. Some values of the line shows abnormal. We will need to escalate the issue to the backend team. The backend team will further investigate the issue and fix it. The back end team will contact you in 24 hours regarding the issue. Please provide your active mobile number so I can escalate the issue now. I will SMS the case report once created.”

I did receive an SMS at 4.44pm “I have escalated the issue to the case management team. This is the reference of the case report created : Problem Report 18151146. Thelma”

I waited all Thursday for some contact. At 6.45pm using my mobile I got onto a Cel who said she could help and took all the particulars again. Then I lost contact. When I tried to ring back I was told the office was close.

I tried the website for chat again 4 times during the evening but kept getting the message “ We are unable to establish a chat connection.”

Friday morning I rang 133 937 again and after going right through the menu I had a 40 min wait. At 12.30 pm I tried to get through to cancel the service but still had a 20 min wait. I was to visit my son at Bellbowrie so I called into The Optus shop at Kenmore. She said she would contact her regional manager and get someone to contact me.

Friday 3.25pm I received an Optus message “ We tried calling re: 18151146. If the issue continues reply Fault within 7 days and we will call you back.” I had no coverage where I was so I got in my car and drove until I got coverage and replied Fault to the SMS.

On Monday I received the same message as above at 6.37pm. This time I replied ‘Fault. We are in a black spot for optus mobiles that is why we need our landline fixed urgently.”

It is useless for Optus to try calling me on my mobile. If I am lucky it will connect but most of the time my mobile reads SOS Only.

Today Tuesday 20 Feb I again visited Toowong Optus Shop. My wife was in Wesley Hospital receiving treatment and I had to go to a shopping centre to get coverage for my mobile I have no landline nor mobile coverage for the hospital to ring when my wife is ready to be picked up. The salesperson at the Optus Shop gave me the instructions ring number 1800 676 305 option 6 code 221 then enter homephone number. I did this thinking at last I might get this matter attended to but to my utter disappointment after waitng some time (my phone miraculously did not drop out) I gace all the details to a woman I found it difficult to understand and she transferred me to a queue with a 25 min wait. Of course my mobile dropped out.

The issue that makes this lack of a landline so drastic is that my wife is quite ill with Liver Cancer and is under regular treatment in a research programme at Wesley Hospital. We are virtually out of contact with her Oncologist, her Research Doctor and other we need to contact. Our family are very frustrated that they cannot contact their mother to see how she is going. Because our mobile is next to useless we need our landline urgently.

It is a poor reflection on Optus to think I have to revert to writing a “Snail Mail” letter to try to get this matter rectified. I have been in touch with the TIO and the number is 2018/02/08179. I feel I should forward this letter to the TIO as it gives more details as to my situation.

I am at my wits end trying to get this matter resolved. I feel very much for my wife who is without contact with her doctor, family and friends. Where do I turn next to get some satisfaction in this matter?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: reporting a faulty landline

Can I suggest you get a prepaid $5 SIM from another Telco in your area. They may not have the same black spot issues and you can use your mobile while you resolve the land line. 

FWIW its strange that th einternet is working but not the phone (as the phone basically uses the internet to make calls). It suggests the issue is likely the equipment  in your house. Perhaps there was an electrical surge? Can you take your phone to someone elses house and see if it works there? Perhaps take another look at your equipment, cables and settings.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

>>I feel I should forward this letter to the TIO

TIO complaints are 1200 characters long, so they don't have to listen to stories about your dog and what brand of carpet you put in.

0 Kudos
brjgordon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter.  I did remove the cordless hand set and replaced it with the more traditional one.  I will take the handset to my son's place this week end and try it.

0 Kudos
brjgordon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks I will have to summarise it.  I posted here the letter I have sent to Optus Customer Service Group.

0 Kudos
Ashman280207
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Brigordon, I feel your pain. I changed from Telstra to Optus on my home phone because of very poor fault response from Telstra. What I found was, Telstra had a contact point on their dashboard where you could log a fault. (A really good idea I thought untill the Telstra contractor arrived, did nothing, then told me my landline wasn't working.) What a brain surgeon! 2 weeks later I cancelled my Telstra services and went over to Optus. I have found Optus great with TV complaints, OK with internet problems but ****** awful with home line faults. I suggested to an operator at Optus that they should have a way of logging a fault on line or such so as customers could send them a complaint instead of waiting a very long time on your mobile. Like you. I had a line fault, the phone was completely dead and the operator told me she would ring me back (on my home line Number) to discuss my problem. Gee, she didn't ring back (remember the phone line was dead) so I found an Optus Sales number I had hanging around, spoke to a nice young lady and explained that all of my services, TV, internet and home phone were with them and if someone from Optus doesnt get back to me in 24 hours, they will be all ported back to Foxtel and Telstra. Voila, all fixed the very next morning. Hope all goes well with your problem and all the best to your wife.

Ashman

brjgordon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ashman for you advice and kind words.  At the moment i am awaiting someone from Telstra to send me the details of a package similar to the one I am on with Optus.  I would prefer not to have to change everything.  They told me it may be difficult to keep the same telephone number.  I have sent a snail mail letter to Customer Relations Group in South Australia explaining my situation.  I hope that may bring a result.

0 Kudos
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @brjgordon, I am terribly sorry to hear of your troubles. I've checked the fault reference number provided and can see the team handling your case have been following up. I can see there have been many issues getting in touch, please feel free to send me a more suitable contact number via private message if required.

I have edited your original post to remove your landline number, please avoid posting these details in the public forum for your own security.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
brjgordon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your support Twoomey.  I have heard this afternoon that an Optus Technician will be here tomorrow.  I hope the matter can be resolved.  It will be a great releif to have the landline back working.  Thank you for editing the post.  It was a mistake to include the number.  I do appreciate the support of the contributors.  It helped at a time when I was becoming very frustrated.  It seems much frustration could be avoided if Optus has a simple effective way of reporting a faulty service.  I remember the time when this was the case.

0 Kudos
brjgordon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Last night I got a call to say a technician would be here this morning.  He arrived and found the fault to be the modem although the internet was still working.  He replace the modem and what a relief we have our landline back working.  Thanks for all the support during this frustrating time.  Smiley Happy