cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Peter49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

poor performance on new 500Gb wireless broadband plan

Hi,

Background: have bee on a 30Gb per month plan - initially with sim card in our ipad and hotspotting to my laptop, but became a bit of a hassle so bought (from Optus) a Huawei B525 router.  Has been fine (retired couple), but with current lockdown and needing to facetime kids and grandkids 30 Gb was no longer adequate.  With only 3 months to go on current plan and just 3x$27 payout fee on the ipad on current plan, decided to sign up for new 500Gb home wireless plan with  Huawei B818 4g modem.

The performance on my old 30Gb plan with the B525 router was usually in the 40 to 50Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up (using Ookla preedtest). 

New equipment arrived today, and got a message this afternoon saying that the new sim for the new plan had been activated and was ready to use.  

so inserted sim, powered up, connected and ran several Ookla tests.  Whats this?  download now only 5 Mbps and upload 6 Mbps !!!  Ran several tests using - all same result.  The connected to my old B525 router and sim since have not yet cancelled that yet and it was 55Mbps down and 1,5Mbps up !!! 

Contacted Optus online support and they just came back with contact this other service pay a refundable $5 (or was it $10) for the service.  Somwone came online and asked for $50 to remotely connect to the router which I declined.  He then said to switch the router off, wait for 5 mins and turn on and to do this twice !!  

Did as asked and absolutely no difference in the Ookla speed tests (maybe an increase fro 5 to 7 or 8 Mbps).  Given this 'analysis' I suggested why don't I put the sim card from my 30Gb / B525 router into the new B818 router and put the new sim from my 300GB plan into my old 30Gb plan B525 router and test ?  The tech thought this was worth a try!!

Results were:  the new B818 router with my 'old 30Gb sim' produced 112Mbps down and 7.9Mbps up - wow have never seen thos speeds before.  Then tested the new Sim from the 500Gb plan in the old B525 router used on my ipad/30Gb plan, and the result was as per usual for that plan at 55Mbps down and 2Mbps up.  

How to explain that:  old plan sim in new router works like a dream.  New plan sim in old router works 'ok' as per old 30Gb plan speed.  But new plan sim in the new router supplied with that sim is very slow at 5Mbps down but with higher 6 Mbps up!!  

Totally confused - as was the online tech consultant (from USA?).  The final message from him was:

"Unfortunately this issue needs to be fixed by Optus.  They should send out a technician to fix the issue.  Please contact them again directly at 1800 555 937 and request a technician come out."  

Given current Covid-19 situation their support line message says they will only accept support calls for a small list of critical problems of which this is not one.  

So what to do??  What could be causing this??  Is it worth visiting an Optus store (eg at Southland?)

Any help/suggestions appreciated. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
geekrebel
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: poor performance on new 500Gb wireless broadband plan

Hi Peter, 

I have a sneaking suspicion that you dodged a bullet with some hackers there... Optus certainly wouldn't ask $50 to connect to your router remotely (I sincerely hope I'm correct in this, maybe someone from Optus can confirm?) 

Hopefully you did not give them any personal information?

Regarding your actual question, I've seen similar issues with Optus SIM cards depending on the device I put it in. No doubt, Optus is putting some speed limits on its 500GB package, though 5 Mbps sounds like a mistake... You could try resetting the router to its default settings while you're on hold with their customer support centre (See contact numbers here: www.optus.com.au/support/contact-us - I'm not sure about that 1800 number you listed)

I've been on hold now for 90 minutes, so I'm sure you'll have time to try different things...

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@geekrebel wrote:

I have a sneaking suspicion that you dodged a bullet with some hackers there... Optus certainly wouldn't ask $50 to connect to your router remotely (I sincerely hope I'm correct in this, maybe someone from Optus can confirm?) 

If he got redirected from Optus then it was probably their 3rd party premium home support service.

0 Kudos
Peter49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. 

Well I hoped I dodged a bullet ...  It was a direct referral from Optus online support via email and text to a crowd call 'askjustanswer.com'  so I assumed it was legit but basically provided no service when I declined the $50 for him to connect to the router remotely.  I suppose it is possible Optus passed on my credit card details so will check with the bank, but doubt it.

Yes I have tried the resetting the router to default settings, but don't understand why my old sim card on the 30GB plan works so well in, and the new sim card from the new 500Gb plan works OK in the old B525 router from 30Gb plan !!  Baffling.

0 Kudos
Peter49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes was redirected from Optus online to askjustanswer.com.  Complete waste of 30 mins. 

I tried ringing Optus tech help, but they listed just 5 or 6 types of tech help that they would handle under current Covid-19 call loads, and this did not seem to fit any of those criteria.  Do you think a visit to Optus Southland would help? 

Completely baffles me as to why the old 'ipad plan' sim works a treat in the new B818 router, whereas the the sim for the new plan does not - and yet that new sim for the new 500Gb plan works ok/acceptable in the old B525 router.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Peter49 wrote:

It was a direct referral from Optus online support via email and text to a crowd call 'askjustanswer.com'  so I assumed it was legit

This is getting real interesting now. The askjustanswer.com does not exist (its just parked) and it was created on 15th January this year. Feels too sketchy.  Would you mind pasting the email you received here (minus any personal info that it may contain)?

0 Kudos
Peter49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It was not an email, it was a redirection from optus online chat   I don't now have a copy, but they sent a form to complete and advised I would be charged a refundable $5 to my account.  Have checked my bank details and the $5 was indeed deducted /processed by Optus yesterday,   so will now try and chase up the $5 refund ..... 

But having switched on the router and done a speed test this morning it seems to be working fine  with 101mbps down and 5,5mbps up.  Go figure? 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Peter49 wrote:

It was not an email, it was a redirection from optus online chat,  

OK. thanks for clearing that up.

---------------------

For @Dan_C , @Ray_YC 

Can you confirm that askjustanswer.com is a valid Optus 3rd party support referral as the domain does not exist (its just parked) and it was created on 15th January this year (it has no google presence either). That doesn't seem right at all and feels like it might be a side hustle that one (some?) of your support staff are running.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Absolutely not! I've never even come across that site til now.

It is not an Official Optus communication channel. 

When I head there, all I can see is an offer to buy the domain name hah. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Dan_C wrote:

Absolutely not! I've never even come across that site til now.

It is not an Official Optus communication channel. 

That's what I suspected.

Looks like you need to pass that on to your fraud/internal security department as OP stated:

"Contacted Optus online support and they just came back with contact this other service pay a refundable $5 (or was it $10) for the service".

&

"It was a direct referral from Optus online support via email and text to a crowd call 'askjustanswer.com'"

So:

• Optus have rogue support staff
  • Customers are not being supported as they should be and are being tricked into paying for support (The OP's problem certainly soundly like something that should have been supported by Optus)
  • Opens up the customer to more potential fraud as they are being directed to an unscrupulous 3rd party.
  • Optus appears to actually be charging customers a supposedly refundable $5 (at least) as stated by OP, which I argue is not a valid charge given that they are being redirected to a dodgy 3rd party (regardless of whether or not the charge is intended to be refunded).
  • Optus should be contacting affected customers.

Your fraud department should be able to identify individual(s) involved by searching customer chat/messaging/comms for references to askjustanswer.com .

Happy hunting!

0 Kudos