cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

phishing and obvious spam emails not getting filtered

Hi Optus,

I'm getting lots of phishing and spam emails in my optusnet.com.au inbox.  I have been flagging the spam and have flagged+reported many of the phishing ones to hidden.  But the same emails as still not getting filtered.  What I really struggle to understand is how you are unwilling to set up a rule to filter emails with "optus" in the from field unless they are from a whitelisted Optus domain/sender.  It is a really easy thing for a mail administrator to set up, yet for some reason you won't do it.  The amount of phishing emails with "optus" somewhere in the sender field I receive is increasing as phishers have realised that Optus is not active or does care about protecting their customers.  If you really do care about your customers than please prove it by setting up this rule as I have suggested in your mail system.

PS.  While you're at it, can you please consider setting up a filter for anything to do with the key words ("survey" or "earn" or "free") + ("gift" or "giftcard" or "gift card") in the subject fields.  Especially if they are from Bunnings, Aldi or Woolworths. I have seen many optus mail users complaining about these on a number of forums as it seems optus mail has become a spammers honeypot due to a lack of action to actively update your filters.

Thank you.

OptusComplaint.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: phishing and obvious spam emails not getting filtered

Hi @StevenH, thanks for getting in touch with us and bringing this to our attention. If you're receiving suspicious emails requesting for any personal details, you can forward these emails through to abuse@optusnet.com.au.

It's worth mentioning that if you're receiving spam from multiple senders, there's nothing stopping them from using a different email address to send through the same spam content. 

However, I will pass on your feedback to the relevant teams so we can improve our customer service experience. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: phishing and obvious spam emails not getting filtered

@StevenH wrote:

What I really struggle to understand is how you are unwilling to set up a rule to filter emails with "optus" in the from field unless they are from a whitelisted Optus domain/sender.

It definitely boggles the mind why they aren't  doing proper from field analysys.

PS.  While you're at it, can you please consider setting up a filter for anything to do with the key words ("survey" or "earn" or "free") + ("gift" or "giftcard" or "gift card") in the subject fields.

Making a spam determination solely/largely based on the contents of the subject filed will cause far more problems then it will sole, no matter how smart the analysis, although if they did that and only added a warning to the message rather then blocked it all together then that is fine.

I have seen many optus mail users complaining about these on a number of forums as it seems optus mail has become a spammers honeypot due to a lack of action to actively update your filters.

Its deeper then that. When Optus blocks a dodgy domain, all they seem to do is block access to it from the Optus network, and only for people who use Optus' DNS servers. They don't seem to be taking any steps to shutdown the dodgy servers themselves, leaving many Optus customers still vulnerable.