Searching...

outgoing email blocked as spam

callum

Today my outgoing mail started failing with SPAM bounce messages. Great, I thought, someone has managed to list the optus servers on a SPAM blacklist. But looking closer, I noticed the bounce was from Optus itself.

551 5.7.6 Message rejected as spam (CM)

A bit more investigation with tcpdump and hand-typed SMTP, I found the line which caused the error. It was the URL of my Optusnet homepage which is included in my email signature (and has been for 7+ years). It's happy with other URLs, just not Optusnet ones. :-P

Re: outgoing email blocked as spam

bob_perrin
thanks but how do I fix the problem

[ Edited ]
callum

Oh, Well, I just replaced it with "My homepage URL was here...", but after some more experimentation I found it's happy with the URL anywhere in the body except as the very last line. So if you even add a blank line to the end that seems to be enough to satisfy the so-called "spam" filter. Oh, but there seems to be a length check, so if your email is too short it will still trigger. Bizarre.

Please fix Optus, this is dumb.

Art

I don't list any URLs on my outgoing email but I still get the spam declaration.  The email consisted of several anti Obama cartoons so maybe that was the problem.

Ian

@callum wrote:

Oh, Well, I just replaced it with "My homepage URL was here...", but after some more experimentation I found it's happy with the URL anywhere in the body except as the very last line. So if you even add a blank line to the end that seems to be enough to satisfy the so-called "spam" filter. Oh, but there seems to be a length check, so if your email is too short it will still trigger. Bizarre.

Please fix Optus, this is dumb.

Very weird! Are you able to send the original email through to us from an alternate address? Shoot it through to mailblockreview@optusnet.com.au and the guys can take a look at it for you... If you do send through, please include your OptusNet username also.

emrige

hey there,

i received an email error

551 5.7.6 Message rejected as spam

does anyone know how i can fix this please...?

Jax_K

@emrige, can you confirm if there's any links in your email with a web address? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

emrige

Yes there is - in this case.

But there are other times when there's no website addresss. Unless it's the address on my signature?

Is this causing the issue?

Jax_K

@emrige, potentially, yes. Could you please try deleting this and re-sending and let me know how you go? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Keichan56

My outgoing email is also getting blocked as spam.

Optus filtering does not seem to be able to block incoming messages that I am getting from FAKE Myer, Bunnings, Netflix, Dan Murphy's, Woolworths, Coles and several other common Australian retailers, despte the from addresses being nothing like the company they are suggesting the emails are from.

I have spent a LONG time on the phone to Optus to try to resolve this, and I've been told SO many times to turn off my modem...there seems to be NO department in Optus that deals with spam. They only seem to be with internally sourced spam.

So, I registered to Spamcop with the thought to send these rogue emails (10-20 per day!) to someone who CAN do something about them. Trouble is, when trying to forward the spam emails to my perosnally registered Spamcop address, Optus block these!  (submit.xxxxxxxxx@spam.spamcop.net).

Waiting on the phone now to try and get these outgoing emails unblocked so I can do something about them.

Anyone else tried this?

Note: Spamcop is a legitimate spam reporting site, so not sure why Optus blocks my emails....they can't stop them coming in, but won't let me do something about them going out!

-Keith

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
63 Kudos
41 Kudos
32 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos