Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor markben
Occasional Contributor

optus so called upgrade to sites

How dare optus decide to just lock out people without the right level of browser.

What idiot company PR department would allow this.

In my particular case I cannot have to accidentally discover that i don't have the very latest firefox.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: optus so called upgrade to sites

Most sites have minimum browser requirements both for security and additional features. Supporting legacy code and every past version can get pretty involved. Usually they don't require the latest version though. Are you referring to the  Optus Sport site? This would definitely need to be kept up to date as this functionality is constantly evolving.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

You think it so hard to leave at least a link that works with the BASIC information .. chrome and firefox levels required? (i know it's not .. i have worked in quality systems)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

What lovely manners ...
Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The sites that don't work include .... https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/account-settings
and customercentre, support, myaccount login etc. etc.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There are lots of possible reasons for a Bad Request error. It is a poorly handled error though so perhaps Optus can look into it now it has been highlighted.

Spare a thought for WhatsApp users on older mobile phones. They found out yesterday that their system was no longer supprted when the app just stopped working.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

What version of Chrome are you using @markben

I'm using Version 78.0.3904.97 on my work and personal computer. The URL -  https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support  is working fine on both. 

We're not just upgrading the look and feel of the website.  We're in the process  integrating our sales & customer relationship management systems as well as moving across to a single content management system. There's a lot of work happening on our side. 

Only a select amount of customers visiting the website are being prompted to visit the new Optus website. The purpose of which is to monitor and optimise its performance before it's made available to all visitors. So, In saying that - we'll gladly take any feedback and relay it back to the devs. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

I use firefox usually, this is where the errors kept coming ...i was trying to get my optus profile setup and after wasting many hours trying to get help from optus including the chat service i got nowhere . mucked around with my adblock etc.on firefox ( i have 70.0.1) ... no good...optus chat gave me links ...same result .... out of exasperation i tried my chrome search and lo and behold it worked... just pathetic that the top browser firefox is disregarded by optus... i have had NO other sites that have this problem
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FWIW Less than 1 in 10 people use Firefox anymore (and that number is steadily declining). By contrast 7 out of 10 people use chrome. Firefox was my browser of choice too back in the day.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Fair point. 

I'll download Firefox at home and check it out. I really can't imagine that we've deliberately dropped support for Firefox. 

We may have optimised for Chrome in terms of page load times etc, but it shouldn't be completely inaccessible using another browser. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos