Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Calvinmirin1
New Contributor
New Contributor

optus 'one' on d'link dwr-921

We have just moved to a new house and had difficulties regarding NBN and getting a hcf box. With no other option we have got the optus ‘One’ plan that came with two sim cards, one for phone, and one for mobile broadband.

We have also been generously gifted a d’link dwr-921. I have activated the sim cards but am only getting a download speed of 1.5mbps. If I hold my Optus phone in the same spot as the modem/router I get 16mbps download.

Does anyone have any advice for the best settings on the modem/router to obtain a better speed or optimise performance?

I am in Thornbury, Melbourne, so surely the speed should be faster than it is!

I am not at all knowledgeable about I.T so could really use some help!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: optus 'one' on d'link dwr-921

1.5Mbps is its capped speed, which kicks in after 500GB used at normal speed. Have you used more than 500GB?

0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

Hey there @Calvinmirin1. I'm sorry to hear that you are receiving these types of speeds. As you are using a third-party modem with this SIM card, we are not able to advise on why you may be getting these speeds, as the SIM plan itself isn't restricted.

It may potentially have something to do with the modem itself and the restrictions it has in place in regards to the maximum 4G speeds that it can receive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Calvinmirin1
New Contributor
New Contributor

cant have gone over...its a brand new service activated this morning!!

im also getting the same speed on the mobile phone sim in a spare handset.

but sitting in the same chair with my other phone on the optus network i am getting 16mbps.

0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

I'm sorry to hear this @Calvinmirin1.

Have you checked out our Network Status page here → https://bit.ly/2RpnDSl, was anything noted in the way of works or faults for your area?

If you continue to have troubles, I recommend getting in touch with our teams on Facebook and Twitter as they will be able to assist you on this matter further from there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Calvinmirin1I have no idea how to do it, but can you check which band the dlink has connected to? Different bands have different download bandwidths and some suck, while others are brilliant (B40).

The other one is what APN are you using? Should be LTEBROADBAND for other APN's check out:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Huawei-B818-263-Correct-APN/m-p/638949

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - speed results on all of your devices may be related to how far you are away from your local Optus Cell Tower - you can see its location on this link. https://www.rfnsa.com.au/?first=1 

The DLink DWR-921 is domestic 2.4 Ghz only Wi-Fi Router with a 4G LTE Back Up WAN function limited to entry level 4G LTE CAT 4 Speeds theoretically rated at 150 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up. In the real world, you are more likely to achieve speeds in the ball park of ADSL2 e.g. under 20 Mbps down. There may be a few things that could improve speeds in your situation if feasible. 

1. Try to locate the Router near a window facing the tower or in a position that shows you a Green LED Signal Strength on the front panel (likely B28/700 Mhz or B3/1800 Mhz)). Amber is also OK to use (likely higher frequencies  B1/2100, B40/2300 and B7/2600 Mhz). Undertake speed tests with a LAN connected PC rather than Wi-Fi.

2. I can't tell from Page 17 of the User Manual if you can get any confirmation of which band the Router is being connected to. I have found from recent experience that the speed experience is determined by many factors beyond the control of a residential user - cell capacity and traffic loads vary during peak and non-peak periods of the day - it's a bit of a lottery.

3. I live 1200 metres from my local Optus tower and activated a Data SIM in my Huawei B525s-65a last week. It is a CAT6 4G LTE with a supposed maximum speed of 300 Mbps Down/50 Mbps Up - my expectations for the real world would be 20-40 Mbps down. I was surprised the best it could do initially was under 10 Mbps/1.5Mbps. It defaulted to LTEBROADBAND for the APN which is the Access Point setting for the Optus connection. l used the My Optus App for assistance and the Agent advised me to create a new APN Profile Name ( I made the custom name Optus Special) and then to change the APN to  CONNECTLTE (all in Caps). I had the impression that she may have had to authorise my SIM to use that APN - not sure. 

4. I have experimented with settings to try to understand what settings give the best results and for my location, I have set [4G only, no 2300 Mhz] - speeds vary during the day. As the Huawei B525s-65a is a purpose built 4G LTE modem, it has helpful information regarding the 4G LTE connection metrics - I don't know if the DLink has similar information displayed. 

5.  Majority of these tests did not use Channel Aggregation and were chosen by the Modem in Auto [4G Mode with no 2300Mhz] and sometimes [4G 2300 Mhz only] selected for comparison. Channel Aggregation is assigned by the  Optus Tower when it has the capacity. 

Worst Result - B28/700 Mhz 1.22 Mbps Down/3.70 Mbps Up (but also 27.34 Mbps/3.83 Mbps)

Better Result - B40/2300 Mhz  CA activated 11.26 Mbps/0.86 Mbps

Better Result - B1/2100 Mhz  17.18 Mbps /8.35 Mbps  (but also 8.79 Mbps/7.18 Mbps)

Better Result - B7/2600 Mhz 30.03 Mbps/0.67 Mbps

Best Result - B1/2600 Mhz 41.74 Mbps /5.13 Mbps - never repeated! 

I have come to to conclusion that anywhere near 12 Mbps/2 Mbps is an expected outcome for my situation and anything above that is a bonus determined by cell capacity at that particular time of day. 

I rated the customer assistance with Optus as high - it took over 45 minutes as I am a slow typist on a cell phone , but overall the Messaging App and the Agent assisted me to understand the speed capabilities of my modem on Optus 4G, so it may be worth you contacting Optus to ask if they have to authorise your SIM for the APN they advised me to use. It is not published on the Optus web site.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1379   

Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just some additional update on my B525s-65a modem. I connected two external 7 dBi stick antennae to the SMA connectors - delivered price $18. Whilst I would describe the quality of the connector and elbow joint to be manufactured towards the accompanying price point, they have improved matters.

I have reset the modem to '4G only' so as to sample all band speed experiences. Although set to any available 4G band, the modem seems to prefer B40 (2300Mhz) , even after selecting Refresh after a test, which usually kicks in a new Band, and now it chooses Channel Aggregation using 20 Mhz+20 Mhz more often than not.

Day 1 Range with CA : 33.31 DL / 2.24  UL Mbps to 44.95 DL / 2.28 Mbps

Day 2 Range without CA: 11.47 DL / 2.26 Mbps to 20.20  DL / 0.62 UL Mbps

Day 3 Range with CA: 25.33 DL / 2.29 Mbps to 35.39 DL / 2.29 Mbps

So for my case, external antennae made a real difference. Optus also notified me today that they will be undertaking a two week upgrade program of our local tower which will conclude at the end of the month, so maybe things may improve further in the future.

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone - I had a Eureka moment this afternoon when I reviewed the RFNSA map for my local area and noticed my intuition regarding the 'logical' cell tower location for my connection being on the southern side of my home was totally incorrect. Discovered another Optus cell tower only 574 metres away on the Northern side of the home which confirmed that it is the best position for the B525s-65a - significant speed improvement results from those listed above. 

I used WiFi on iPhone 6, as I don't have a PC upstairs where I placed the B525, and was happily stunned at the difference, so it pays to experiment with modem location. 

On 2.4 Ghz WiFi link - 57.4 DL / 8.18 UL Mbps then  53.4 DL / 7.70 UL Mbps

On 5Ghz WiFi Link - 74.5 DL / 7.49 UL Mbps, 83.1 DL / 7.48 UL Mbps and 64.6 DL  / 7.5 UL Mbps

Optus sent me a  SMS last week indicating they are upgrading that cell tower for completion of works at the end of this month and I may experience some interruptions during that process. The Pending work on the RFNSA website shows work for 4G+ (900 Mhz and 2600 Mhz)  and 5G (2300 and 3500 Mhz), so will test out next month to see if any further improvements occur. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors