Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: only 2 ports working on a 4 port modem help to fix required

Hi Peter - yes, a generic statement based on YouTube modem breakdown reviews and having a forensic look inside a few modems, including the F@ST3864V3AC. I haven't ventured inside the  F@ST 5366TN but it is a surprising beast. It must be one of the most lightest modems on the planet for its size making me think it is a hotspot design rather than a traditional modem- it has a huge empty void inside, so the very small PCBs must be on the outer walls. It surprises me that it is equipped with a huge 12 Volt_3.5 amp power supply given it has no 4G BackUp and DECT that usually demand the additional power. Assume the power supply is a common part for its elder brother, the F@ST 5366 TN LTE model.

Another surprise is the Wi-Fi radio - very advanced theoretical marketing max speeds- 450 Mbps on 802.11 n 2.4Ghz and 2200 Mbps on 802.11ac 5 Ghz. Whilst the later implies it can run the pants off a kangaroo, due to the 4x4: 4 stream, max of 160Mhz channel bonding and using a coding max of 1024QAM support - the only issue is that there aren't many Wi-Fi adaptors that can match that combo. All the best.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I had a F@ST3864V3AC on which all 4 ethernet ports stopped working at the same time - took a while to convince optus, but they did eventually replace it with the later F@ST modem -  first replacement died completely after a lightning strike but second one has been great.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi all

Thanks for all your input on this subject and info relating to the modem setup. On Friday morning i did purchase a 5 port switch placing the Ethernet cable from the optus modem port 1  into port1 of switch

then used the switch port 2 for cable to the computer and switch port 3 cable to fetch tv switch 4 cable to the x box all worked fine all ports streaming data to each device i will check what is reads on the optus page however i am a novice at networking an d are really unsure what is going on as mentioned before my backup router works without a problem, Karloucho do you run several devices from the lan ports as I have 3

regards Ron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It does sound like a faulty router. You could request Optus send out a replacement for no cost (they must provide a working router as their system requires it).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks peter for the heads up about the switch I am atm a little disappointed with the new optus modem as previous modem worked fine for 5 years. I have been discussing these issues with optus technical support as the landline failed also they have pushed up to case management since last Thursday haven't a call back as yet
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi - Optus should be able to remotely access the modem, verify the ports can't receive a ping from them to a device you have connected to Port 3 and 4. If the ports were not faulty, you can also confirm the same test by sending a ping signal between a PC on Port 1 and another device Port 3. My son had a similar issue with his newly supplied modem with another carrier, all four ports were faulty with his modem and he couldn't access the Internet through any of them. Products and components aren't 100% test sampled at the factory and sometimes you can just be unlucky. Unusual for two incidences to occur with same problem but with electronics, one never knows. 

This is a F@ST3864V3AC layout - all the physical Input/Output ports are aligned on one side. The two ceramic units aligned to each pair of yellow physical ports are called LAN Discrete Transformer Modules; other external ports have their own. Based on your experience, it is likely to be a hardware issue with the transformer that does port 3 and 4 or whatever other component which provides the interface between the transformer and the Broadcom System on a Chip (SoC) CPU which controls the LAN Switch.

With the  F@ST 5366 TN, the WAN and LAN ports are located 40 mm behind the bottom front panel in an unfriendly to see position; the other ports are mounted on the left and right sides of the rear panel which is an unusual design as these ports need to have a connection back to the main circuit board where the SoC sits.

Customers shouldn't have to buy additional equipment as a permanent solution to overcome a problem with the carrier's modem. Hoping you are third time lucky and back to normal operation soon. 

IMG_2537.JPG

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks heaps hopefully optus will call soon i will keep all updated as a few seem interested

0 Kudos