Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

only 2 ports working on a 4 port modem help to fix required

I have just received my second replacement modem gateway f@st 5366 tn port 1 and 2 work fine 3 and 4 do not. My computer is connected to 1 my fetch is connected 2 port Xbox is connected to 3 port light flashes 2-3 seconds then stops same with port 4 anyone able to advise would be greatly appreciated?

regards

Ron

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: only 2 ports working on a 4 port modem help to fix required

Presumably you've switched around cables and equipment to confirm the issues remain the same?

So two main options.

1) Request another modem from Optus
2) Buy a cheap switch and plug it into port 1.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/d-link-5-port-gigabit-desktop-switch-dgs-1005a/p/672995/
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

This is the second modem within 3 weeks since my old ndn modem failed both new modems have the same problem so maybe its a deeper problem than just replacing the modems and when i use my backup router everything works great all ports on that router work
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

connect switch into port 1 then use the switches ports 1-4 for all my lan cables correct.
1. computer.
2. Fetch tv
3 xbox
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Check your DHCP server and the IP addresses your equipment is on.

Its possible you're assigning the same address to multiple equipment. So the first few work but then you get clashes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

yes I had I look at the modem page i don't think anything is using the same ip address I am a novice when what is what in networking. However I had to use my backup router while waiting for the replacements it worked on all ports without a problem
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Look into the network setting of each device. Is it DHCP/AUTO? Try change that to a fixed address on the device (eg. 192.168.0.155). See if your ports continue to not work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank I will try in the morning have a good one
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi - the LAN ports on modems are provided internally in pairs, so maybe you are unlucky and have another hardware issue. With an Ethernet cable connected to LAN port 3 or LAN port 4, does your PC get allocated an IP address from the modem - it will be visible in your Adaptor Settings.

If you can open up a CMD screen in your PC or the Network Utility in a Mac - what do you see when you ping 192.168.0.1 which is the Gateway IP address of your modem. If you get a time out error or anything over a 4ms response and  0% packet loss, it may indicate there no IP address assigned to the PC from the Gateway, a hardware failure with the LAN port, a suspect cable, IP range mismatch in case your other router has a different range. Assuming you have restarted your PC between tests so that it gets a fresh IP address.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

In pairs? Did not know that.
0 Kudos