cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor djmikeyg29
New Contributor

Re: non direct debit fees

i get charged for using my credit card i wanna know how its legal to charge for the right to pay their bill.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Optusmum
New Contributor

your link to fees does not work

0 Kudos
New Contributor Optusmum
New Contributor

thats rubbish information, i have a bill with both of those things on it.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Mroul
New Contributor

That is a great point, what legal right has Optus to charge which way a person pays their account? I too will be joining another provider over this fee.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Donnaleanne
New Contributor

Re: non direct debit fees and paper billing fee

Mickamel. I am looking into this at the moment too as I have been charged both a paper processing fee and a non direct debit fee on my invoice totalling $4.00.

Its is a brand new service and I was charged the non direct debit fee even though there has not been a payment made on the account as its a brand new account.

Please explain!

0 Kudos
Moderator Ev_

If you choose not to pay your account by direct debit a $2.20 processing fee is charged to your monthly bill(s).  This fee can be avoided if paying with direct debit or via credit, debit, charge or prepaid cards.

There is a $2.20 fee if you choose to receive paper bills. If you'd like to set up email billing, this can be done online via My Account → optus.com.au/myaccount. 

Please check out this link for more info on billing fees → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/late-payment-other-billing-fees?requestType=NormalReques...

0 Kudos
New Contributor

I did pay my bill via credit card through the optus myaccount page but my point is the Non-Direct Debit was charged on my first bill before anything was paid by any methods and it was no stated to be when I signed up that that would happen and I was not given a critical infomation summary. I also opted for paperless billing when I signed up, never recieved any paper bills and I have still been charged for a paper bill for my home internet account. I called up to ask WTF and I was told they never set my email up so I was on the system as Paper Billing. Even though I have not recieved a paper bill in the mail. 

It is also not clear what payment types this charge of a non-direct debit fee applies to:

See the below ourlined in the critial information summary (which I did not recieve at the time of siging up and had to live chat to get a copy yesterday)

Non-direct debit fee
A $2.20 fee will be charged each month if you choose not to pay
your bill by direct debit. To set-up direct debit go to
optus.com.au/myaccount
Exception: For payments made by credit, debit, charge
or prepaid cards, the non-direct debit fee will not apply.
Paper invoice fee
A $2.20 paper invoice fee will be charged each month if you
choose to receive a paper bill. For online billing or to request
an email bill go to optus.com.au/myaccount
Payment processing fee
If you pay by BPay savings or direct debit from a bank account
or credit card, there are no processing fees. A processing fee
applies to non-direct debit payments made by credit or charge
card and/or if you pay at Australia Post. For details go to
optus.com.au/payments

So the non direct debit fee applies to payments that are not direct debited by optus or payments made by a credit, debit or charge card but you get charged a processing fee for payments made by credit or charge card that are not a direct debit.

Bpay says there is no processing fee but you slug people with a non-direct debit fee for bpay payments.

So I paid by visa debit on the website through my account, which said there was no payment processing fees (and none were charged at payment). So I am going to get lugged for that on my next bill as well as the non-direct debit fee that you charge automatically on my monthly bill before anything was set up even though the critical information summart startes that the non-direct debit fee will not be charged if payments are made by debit or credit card under the exeption.

Also:

My crittical information summary for my Mobile phone and Mobile Broardband (Tablet) state:

Paper invoice fee
A $2.20 fee will be charged each month if you choose to receive
a paper bill. To see your bills online, or request email billing go to
optus.com.au/myaccount
Payment processing fee
If you don’t pay by direct debit (bank account or credit card) or
BPay savings, a payment processing fee will apply. For details go
to optus.com.au/payments

So Bpay is a free payment for my mobile account accotding to my critical information summary but I am getting a payment charge on that account for paying via Bpay of 0.52 cents per payment via bpay.

I want these fees rectified. I am sick of trying to call Optus and not getting through to anyone but a voice over telling me to check out the website!

I am so had it with Optus (connection issues, phone issues, communication issues, email issues, myaccount issues) that if this doesnt get clarified soon I am going to the ombudsman but all the information I have and problems have occured since I switched to optus on 8th of December and have my account closed off. Its been an absolute nightmare! 

0 Kudos
Moderator Ev_

If you can send through your account details to our Billing Team here via Live Chat → optus.com.au/livechat, we can definitely take a look into this for you @Donnaleanne.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thank you but I have already spoken to the live chat team for nbn and mobile and managed to get thorugh to the NBN billing team on the phone aswell (though unconventional methods!) Who told me the charges were valid and there was nothing they could do.

0 Kudos
Moderator Ev_

Hmm.. these fees shouldn't be on the first bill though 😕 Please shoot through a private message to us here, and we'll try take a look into this for you. We'll need your full name, date of birth and account number. Cheers!

0 Kudos