cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor mickamel1
Occasional Contributor

non direct debit fees

Can someone from optus get in touch with me about an issue i have with the non direct debit fees charged to home phone accounts 

Why is there no email address for complaints by the way do you not want anything recorded in writing ?

I have phoned and been to a store to complain to no avail and im not sending a bloody letter 

This question has been asked a lot and i am yet to find a response as to WHY you charge a non dirct debit fee for home phone accounts and not mobile accounts 

I await your reply befor making a complaint to the telecommunications ombudsman (although i dought i will be the first)

44 Replies
Moderator Tris

Re: non direct debit fees

Hi mickamel1, sorry if you've had trouble getting an answer to your enquiry. A non direct debit fee applies whenever direct debit isn't set up regardless of the service type. If you'd like more info on fees you can have a read here. You can also submit an online enquiry if you'd prefer a response via email. Hopefully I've been able to answer your question though

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

It's not "regardless of service type" because I never got charged the fee when it was solely my mobile account 

My whole gripe with this is that the fee is unsubstantiated 

I can understand a paper invoice fee because my bill is about 10 pages plus an envelope, but to charge for not paying by direct debit is absolute crap 

A little while ago Optus dropped their fee for paying by credit card but now we essentially get charged for paying by BPay 

So to get back to my original question "why" is there a charge for non direct debit on home/broadband accounts and not on mobile 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Mickamel1,

The Non-Direct Debit fee definitely applies to bills for both Mobile and Fixed Products. These have been in-place for while, so I can't comment as to why you have not been charged on your mobile account. Perhaps give Customer Service a call (133 937)  so they can look into your account specifically for you.

The below is included on the Critical Information Summary for Mobile services.

Paper invoice fee You’ll be charged $2.20 each month if you choose to receive a paper bill. To see your bills online, or request email billing go to optus.com.au./myaccount

Payment processing fee If you don't pay by direct debit (bank account or credit card) or BPay savings, a payment processing fee will apply. For details go to optus.com.au/payments

You won't be charged BOTH. So If you're paying the Paper Invoice Fee you will not be charged the Non Direct Debit fee. Perhaps that explains it.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

why is it that the 2 people that have commented about my complaint have no idea what they are talking about 

can someone who has any knowlege of why we are getting charged this fee reply please 

im starting to see why questions never get answered on this page the people that are looking after this site have no clue what they are talking about 

this question has been asked many times before and it has never been answered with a straight forward answer they simply refer to the critical information summary 

i just want to know why do i get charged this fee on home phone/broadband accounts and not mobile and before someone else answers with "fee applies whenever direct debit isn't set up regardless of the service type" or "The Non-Direct Debit fee definitely applies to bills for both Mobile and Fixed Products." here is a copy of my bill before and after i added broadband to my mobile accountPhotoScan.jpgPhotoScan (2).jpg

do you see that bit that says account charges that is the non direct debit fee 

see how its not on my mobile account before i got the entertainment bundle 

if you need further proof i could put up all my bills for the past 15 or so years but this should explain it

also scott m you said at the top of your reply that "The Non-Direct Debit fee definitely applies to bills for both Mobile and Fixed Products. " then go on to paste the page from the critical image summary explaining the fees 

Paper invoice fee You’ll be charged $2.20 each month if you choose to receive a paper bill. To see your bills online, or request email billing go to optus.com.au./myaccount

Payment processing fee If you don't pay by direct debit (bank account or credit card) or BPay savings, a payment processing fee will apply. For details go to optus.com.au/payments

it says right there that you dont get charged a payment processing fee for paying by BPay

so im a little confused as to what the hell you are trying to explain to me 

this is the section in the critical information summary for the entertainment bundle

Non-Direct Debit fee A $2.20 fee will be charged each month if you choose not to pay your bill by direct debit. To set-up direct debit go to optus.com.au/myaccount

Paper invoice fee A $2.20 paper invoice fee will be charged each month if you choose to receive a paper bill. For online billing or to request an email bill go to optus.com.au/myaccount

Note: Either the Non-Direct Debit or Paper invoice fee applies, not both.

Payment processing fee If you pay by BPay savings or direct debit from a bank account or credit card, there are no processing fees. A processing fee applies to non-direct debit payments made by credit or charge card and/or if you pay at Australia Post. For details go to optus.com.au/payments

so my question is Again why do i get charged a non direct debit fee for my entertainment bundle/mobile account and not for a mobile account alone 

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hey mickamel1, the non direct debit fee is charged because you're not paying via direct debit. As to why it's charged, the decision behind that isn't something that we're involved in so I'd be unable to speculate. The details of the charge are advised in the plan CIS and if you didn't want to have a direct debit set up, you'd be charged the non-direct debit fee. It's unfortunate that this isn't charged on your previous bills, but as this seems to be a charge relating to the fixed internet service, you'll continue to be charged until a direct debit is set up. If you needed assistance getting it set up, please send me a PM and we can help you get it sorted out.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor HLO1
Occasional Contributor

Hey mickamel1, welcom to join the "Optus Not So Happy Customers gang".

I have similar BAD experience with Optus re "Non Direct Debit Fees" after being their loyal customer for more than 2 decades.

My situation:

Paying my Optus Landline "Paper Bills" by Cheques, Credit Cards, BPays for the past 2+ decades (always on time) WITHOUT being charged any "Non Direct Debit Fees".

I recently changed the Paper Bill to e_Bill to avoid being slugged by Optus for the pitiful $2.20 starting April 2016. I received my Landline e-Bills since April 2016 and paid (always on time) by BPay WITHOUT being charged anny "Non Direct Debit Fees".

Recently, some genius at Optus think they would like to get extra $2.20 'revenue' from me, so they merged my 'old' Optus Landline account with my Optus Broadband account into a"new" product (Basic Plus Bundle) in July. In doing so, they charged me $2.20 "Non Direct Debit Fees" in my July's e-Bill without my prior knowledge (I must have missed out the fine prints hiding somewhere!), After all, who would waste time and engergy to dispute with Optus for just $2.20? It only make 'financial' sense on Optus side to slug millions of their customers $2.20 each.

After being with Optus for 20+ years, I would guess Optus bet I would stick with them for another 20+ years, so I suppose I better pay what they billed me and stop complainning 😞

OR, it is the time for a change? I can always port my existing number to the new service provider. I am in a process to move my email fro OPTUSNET to GMAIL

I wish you well and keep fighting 🙂

Please keep post your experience, and hopefully more people will realise what's happening. It is NOT the $2.20, It is principle!

RetiredModerator Guy
RetiredModerator

Hi HLO1. We do occasionally change older plans which are no longer valid to a newer comparable plan. If you'd like to check your plan inclusions and any applicable fees. You can speak to our live chat team here.

0 Kudos
New Contributor ThdDrafter
New Contributor

I too think that the fee is totally BS. I mean what is the difference if im paying via direct debit or if i manually pay it myself (by the due date)! I assume it's in their fine print, so whether or not it's justified is probably not an argument as you have signed the agreement. Im sure Optus has had their legal team look into it to see if it's legitimate. The only thing i can think of is to go to the ombudsman and see if the fee can be justified.

I guess if it's not direct debited, optus needs "someone/computer" to cross-check that the bill has been paid correctly and by the right amount etc. 

On the flipside ive been billed incorrectly, so if i did have "direct debit" it would have automatically been taken out of my account. If it did happen, would i be able to charge optus $2.20 for processing on my end to get my money back?

chances are when you have direct debit you dont even check the bills properly and incorrect charges probably go unnoticed.

0 Kudos
New Contributor DanHughes
New Contributor

Hi I was just reading this forum and noticed that you have stated that i will not be charged both a paper invoice fee and a Non direct debit fee. I have just check my bill and I'm being charged both! Who should i get in contact will to fix this?