Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor mickymagoo1
New Contributor

Re: new Optus cable installation

Peter,

I am in Milton Qld on a contract. If they are able to come up with a viable solution I don’t actually mind recontracting, otherwise I’ll be looking at cancellation options and just going wireless for now

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Also need a street name @mickymagoo1 (no need for a number). Your suburb is quite the hodge podge of NBN technologies. A smattering of HFC, mostly FTTN but FTTC if you live south of Milton Road. All arriving between now and 2020.

Not sure if contracts allow you to cancel if a viable service is being provided (i.e. ADSL). But no harm asking. Optus could also switch onto a wireless plan as an alternative. 

It looks like you've only had Optus cable in your street? (Not Telstra)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor mickymagoo1
New Contributor

Peter, I’ll send you a private msg with the street. Optus Cable for the neighbours though, ie. from the Optus website that is an available service for them when I plug their address in when searching Telstra it’s just ADSL

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Right on the boundary of things. It does mean what your eventual NBN technology is might still easily change. I agree that Telstra cable doesn't do your area, so its strange you've been set for NBN HFC (as this only uses the Telstra cable usually). Perhaps NBN are using bits of the Optus network in a few areas after all (most of it is due to be torn down in 2021). 

So its possible you end up joining the FTTN bunch nearby or more hopefully most Optus cable only areas are being moved to FTTC NBN which would be much preferable to FTTN. Guess you can only wait and see on that.

But that's not your actual question though and unfortunately I don't have a lot of great options. Wireless could be a good one. As the NBN is arriving in 1-12 months I'd go the Optus Month 2 Month plan. Its the same cost as the 24 month plan but you just pay for the modem outright. In either scenario you owe the $192 for the modem and there's no other cancellation fees on either approach. Might just be simpler to start on M2M (assuming they're happy to kick you off the ADSL contract) - thinking about it, its probably better to say you'll sign the 24 month wireless contract cause they like people in contract and because there's zero penalty to exit early  

Possibly try a few more times to get the cable connected to your home, but Optus have weird restrictions on subdivisions and as any cable they put up now will be torn down in 12 months they're probably not hugely wanting to do it (but no harm asking a few times more). 

The only other option I would consider depends on how well you know your neighbors.If they have a 100Mbps Optus cable connection then there's nothing stoping you running a 20-50m Cat5 cable between your houses (and just plug into one port in their modem.) You could split the cost of their monthly internet bill. They're free to cancel the arrangement anytime and just unplug the cable. Could be a win win?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos