Searching...
Highlighted

new Optus cable installation

Phil2

Hi All,

I am trying to get Optus cable installed to my property and can confirm Optus cable is on the street as my neighbours have it.

The SQ keeps failing for optus cable and I believe this is because I live in a town house. Townhouse 1 already has Optus cable and i'm town house 2 and would love to get it. I understand that Optus doesn't service unit blocks however these are town houses and the distance to run a cable to my property is not much more than my neighbour in townhouse 1. 

Is there anyway I can get the order through or speak to the Optus cabling/provisioning team? The sales guys are no help after mutliple calls and just try to sell me wireless broadband which I dont want.

Thanks

Re: new Optus cable installation

petergdownload

You're out of luck.

Optus has a strict policy of 1 cable connection to one property (doesn't matter if you split it up later)

Any chance you could offer to go halves with your neighbour and run a cat 5 cable from their modem to yours?

Otherwise you need to wait for the NBN to arrive.

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Phil2

See this is where I got annoyed as my old property had 2 townhouses on the same block and both have Optus cable. I walked down my new street and can also see townhouses on the same block have seprtate optus cables running of the street to their propterty. So clearly the rule isn't enforced that strongly.

Seeing this I believe it is possible just need to speak to the right people. The question is can I find any of the right people on here!?

petergdownload

I believe the issue originates in the Telstra database (that keeps a record of all properties). You're correct it may have some arbitary basis but IME once you've been zoned as one property / one connection then Optus don't side step (no matter how logical it might be). As a thought its possible some of the cables you are seeing are Telstra?

Of course this is just my understanding so yes, others may be able to offer additional options.

I take it you don't have access to Telstra cable? That might be a solution. Regardless this article here might offer some options.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Phil2

Telstra cable is in the street but runs all underground, the cables I am seeing are Optus which run above using the power poles.

I would get Telstra Cable but they want at least $2500 to run the cable under the road to my side of the street. 

petergdownload

Are you slated for HFC when the NBN arrives? (in which case it will be Telstra HFC connected for free.).

Perhaps try the Telstra trick in that article anyway and I suspect Optus uses Telstra records in this area to decide if they can run a cable to the house. But otherwise you'll have to keep trying to find someone who can help.

Peter Gillespie

Phil2

Yes scheduled for HFC however due to the recent hold ups and changes in NBN I believe it will be changed to FTTC.

I went and spoke to one of the people on the street with a subdivided block with Optus cable and got some good insight. He said that it took him 3 months to get it sorted but as soon as they managed to get a Optus tech to come and confirm there was a spare port on the the closest tap to his house they had it installed within 2 weeks.

Can anyone from Optus on here arrange a tech to come to site do the same for me?

Tris

I'll need to have this raised with our Serviceability team @Phil2. The SQ may be failing as there's no record of the address, it's often the case with subdivided blocks. Could you shoot me a PM with your full name, the address and a contact number? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
97 Kudos
89 Kudos
45 Kudos
35 Kudos
30 Kudos