Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Palindrome
New Contributor

mail106.syd.optusnet.com.au blacklisted

Hi ... I have been trying to send an email from my optusnet account to my work email and it has been rejected due to "the sending MTA's poor reputation". It appears the Cisco Email Security Appliance at work is blocking mail106.syd.optusnet.com.au due to reputational issues. Other tools such as backscatterer and barracuda are also black listing this MTA now.

Can someone in optus please address this problem? I have screenshots to forward showing the rejection emails, and the blacklisting screenshots.

12 Replies
New Contributor Bean
New Contributor

Re: mail106.syd.optusnet.com.au blacklisted

Same here with the error message:

550-"JunkMail rejected - mail107.syd.optusnet.com.au [211.29.132.53]:35689
    is 550-in an RBL: Client host blocked using Barracuda Reputation, see 550
    http://www.barracudanetworks.com/reputation/?r=1&ip=211.29.132.53" (in
    reply to RCPT TO command)

Is Optus monitoring this thread or is this just for volunteers to help with general issues?  Is there any other mode to communicate this serious problem to Optus directly so that they can get their ip blocks delisted from the spam lists.  At the moment not only Barracuda but also Sorbs is bloking Optus ip addresses.

New Contributor Ossie123
New Contributor

Spent over an hour on char with one of the Optus support people trying to explain their email servers have been blacklisted to no avail.  They seemed convinced it was my Outlook causing the issues even though I explained it happened when I sent emails through webmail as well.

All it takes is a quick check of https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a211.29.132.97&run=toolpage to clearly show they have a blacklisting problem.

Any emails send to bigpond accounts are being rejected because of this.

PLEASE FIX OPTUS TECHNICAL SUPPORT - WHY ARE WE PROVIDING YOU WITH FREE TECHNICAL ADVICE????

New Contributor websmartcentral
New Contributor

said: 554 The
    IP Address of the sender (211.29.132.59) was found in a DNS blacklist
    database and was therefore refused. (in reply to RCPT TO command)

I'm also affected on the same range. Come on Optus, we should not have to resort to lodging forum posts on a community support forum to fix these type of issues that should be being actively monitored.

This needs to be fixed ASAP

LISTEDBACKSCATTERER211.29.132.42 was listed  Detail210073Ignore
 LISTEDBARRACUDA211.29.132.42 was listed  Detail300183Ignore
Occasional Contributor DavidHarvey
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same BLACKLISTED problem. Information sent to MAILBLOCKREVIEW and am awaiting reply

RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hey guys, sorry to hear that you've had some trouble with this 😞

We definitely want to look into this for you so if you still need assistance - please give our Faults team a call on 13 13 44 so we can check it out. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor olivaw
New Contributor

Sorry, not sure what is the point in calling the faults team when the issue is not customer specific. There is nothing wrong with what we do, our equipment or our ip - it is the relay server that is causing this and totally under control of Optus. A simple check on mxtoolbox will show that the previously mentioned ip are still listed as blocked, so the issue is ongoing.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Man Frustrated
Occasional Contributor

Of course the problem is entirely with OPTUS and only they can fix it. Many small businesses pay for premium DNS and use their domain name to have web mail forwarded to their actual mail box using the MX record at their domain name provider and all mail coming from optus mail servers will be blocked. Using OPTUS webmail the message will bounce back with the details that the appropriate people can act upon. It is something that should never have happend but it has and I am certainly not happy when a customer says I am ignoring their email which never came to me and they did not receive a bounce back because they sent the email from their destop application. Frustrating is not the word and whilst identifying existing customers is a lenghty process regrettably potential customers will be impossible to trace. In the meantime I will be contacting the Faults Team and make reference to the fact that was "Yes Crowd" administrator that suggested the call and no doubt they will give me a case number and thereby escalate the issue.

Occasional Contributor

I have contacted the Faults Team on 131344 and they have issued  Problem Report 17769716. I would really appreciate it if an admin from the "Yes Crowd" could expedite this as the message in the mail rejection is from the mail server with a failure to deliver notice. This information on the BLACLISTED server/servers is in the delivery failure message sent back to myself from the optus mail server. I await a call from further technical support as was promised.  

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor WATAG
Occasional Contributor

Optus makes it almost impossible to contact them about an issue such as this.

Its not just mail106 server, its lots of them.

I've checked all the IP's of one bank of 10 mail servers, and half of them are blacklisted on Barracuda and some on other lists too.

There are probably many other banks of mail servers, but its so time consuming to locate them all.

So its the luck of the draw if you get one of the mail servers thats blacklisted.

I've sent email to postmaster@optusnet.com.au with a delivery receipt sent back (I ticked I wanted one) but no response at all.

Lots of other emails by other people to postmaster might help.

Maybe the Telecommunications Ombusdman needs to be informed.

Optus...if you read these posts...(AND YOU SHOULD!) ..please do something urgently to whitelist all your mail servers with Barracuda.

0 Kudos