Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Occasional Contributor fem
Occasional Contributor

internet speed

so am geting about 8-9 mbps from my adsl2, I used to get 30-40 on just cable but anyways, but for some rason when i connect my phone to my internet over wifi my internet drops to 0.5-0.9 mbps. why? that should't happen, it never happend before

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: internet speed

8 Mbps over ADSL is pretty standard and probably considered a good speed. If your wifi connection is algae that is because either the modem settings or your phone settings, not the internet or Optus. 

First test your wifi on something other than your phone. To rule out your phone being the issue. Second do you get thosep speeds standing on the same room as the modem.

Third do you have a modern with a 5mhz band? Look in wifi settings on the modem as that's the day band. 2.4mhz is the slow band.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

It's not the wifi but the PC that has ethernet cable to the modern that losses all Mbps, this happens sometimes when i turn on my phone wifi my PC internet drops to 0.6 Mpbs and when I turn it off i get 8-9 Mpbs.

Next day today* it's works with both on just fine, this happens on and off randomly from what I can see.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the update, @fem. Odd this is happening only when connected via Ethernet and not WiFi. 

Do you have any spare Ethernet cables you could use to see if that rules out an issue with the cable itself? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I thought that may be it but I try a different one, it weird most of the time it works fine just the odd occasion 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Agree that it is a little odd!

It could be congestion during peak times, however this would also impact your Wifi too. Could also be a modem issue. 

Try with another Ethernet cable and let us know how it all goes. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It would likely be something in your home (as opposed to a backend Optus issue) 

1) I have heard reports of the (faulty) Optus Modem Wifi significantly impacting ethernet speeds. Any chance you could try a spare router?

2) It could also just be your phone is syncing or doing somethng when you plug it in to wifi (it would easily consume 8Mbps on stuff). As a test reset (or note) your phone's current data usage on the phone. Then if you connect and find the speeds drop as you say just do nothing else and see if the data usage (on your phone not the optus app) is increasing anyway. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The Internet speed stay good but only lags something when I turn my phone wifi on like it just takes all the internet but this doesn't happen all the time

0 Kudos
Moderator GuyCS

Hey @fem - it sounds like your phone may be using the internet in the background. Things like Background App Refresh, App Store automatic updates, or iCloud/Google Cloud syncing may be the culprit in this instance. 

Alternatively, it may be that you have too many devices connected to your modem over WiFi at any given time (usually around 10+ will impact speeds).

0 Kudos