cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor mshr214
New Contributor

internet speed to slow

I am an Optus loyal customer since last 6 years. Just called them 3 times over the 6year time. My internet speed was awesome up to March 2017,.But then it started to slow the browser. I used to watch Youtube video, AFL game highlights, and some movie.

But these days it's even hard to open a website of some news like ABC.news.au or The age or so on, If I start to watch AFL highlights, buffering takes very very long time. Is this new NBN issues of something different. I live in Clayton, VIC 3168, Melbourne. 

Thank you 

Mani

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: internet speed to slow

You're with Optus Cable?

It looks like you'll be switched to the Telstra Cable when the NBN becomes available. Anecdotaly, Optus seem to have pretty much given up on their cable network. Its now owned by NBN Co and will be completely junked when the NBN is completed in two years. Optus themselves are dumping all existing customers off cable almost as soon as the NBN becomes available (instead of allowing 18 months). So be prepared for a letter or call to that effect - note that at that point you will be able to cancel any contract with Optus without penalty. But you can also choose just to transition to the Optus NBN offering (or pick any other RSP)

I get the impression not a lot of money is being spent on the Optus cable network unless its absolutely broken. A conspiracy theorist might even think Optus were buttering up customers with a tempting offer of much better speeds on their shiny new NBN plans. I suspect if you call Optus you'll be told there are works ongoing or its being looked at, but you'll never get any specific details or dates. 

Check all the cables are tightly screwed in on your modems, wall plates etc. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor mshr214
New Contributor

Thank you, Peter, for the details. Yes, the problem is Optus using a Telstra cable and NBN is a mess. I want to change the provider but I am bit reluctant to do it as you said NBN and Co Junk.

the speed they adverstise and they provide is always different.

Thank you again. I will call the Optus and try to solve first.

Sincerely yours

Mani 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@mshr214

Hi Mani,

Hopefully Optus will be able to identify an issue on your line and fix it. 

FWIW you are on an Optus cable. When the NBN finishes in your area (apparently about 6 months away) you will be disconected  from the Optus cable and switched to the (newly upgraded) Telstra cable (which is now owned by the NBN). That's acompletely new network so hopefully you'll be back up to 100% spped then.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos