cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor rev18
New Contributor

increase in spam

I've had a sudden increase in spam in the last week. Instead of maybe eight over maybe three days, I'm now getting 50-60 per day, mostly from the same two domain names. The spam is being correctly filtered to the spam folder, but it's frustrating having to keep clearing it. Is anyone else getting this? Has something changed?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor bonza
Contributor

Re: increase in spam

I find it comes and goes. for a while I was getting 50, now it has dropped off to next to nothing

0 Kudos
Moderator Eveline

That's not good to hear! If you can report the phishing emails on the ACMA website, they'll be able to review it and request for your email to be removed from their marketing lists.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Wookiie
Occasional Contributor

I have been experiencing sudden increase in spam emails too! Averaging 15-20 per day although there was a short hiatus about 10 days ago where none came for about 4 days,then they started up again with a vengeance. While Optus webmail recognised them as spam, it is still very annoying and inconvenient - especially in case a 'legitimate' email slips into spam and is missed in the 'fog'.

The concerning thing is that these emails all come from xxx@throwawaymail.com and ALL addressees have xxx@optusnet.com.au email accounts. I've tried raising/reporting this to Optus but that has proved a total waste of time! I was told it would stop if I changed my webmail password. I questioned how this would work but was told emphatically this was the solution! But of course it wasn't and the spam emails are continuing just as before. I just wish Optus technical support would not give erroneous advice.

Clearly, there must have been a 'breach' at the Optus end somehow given that all these spam emails are addressed exclusively to Optus email clients. I would have thought Optus would be taken a far more serious and priority investigation but they just remain dismissive - as always.

0 Kudos
Contributor bonza
Contributor

I was getting spam for about a year or more. sometimes 20, 50 a day. all with throwaway addresses. it was put down to a forum that I often access where all their data including members email addresses had been hacked.

I simply never opned the spam emails and they eventually stopped to nothing. the spammers are trying to determine if the address thay are emailing are still valid. if you dont open them they eventually give up

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Wookiie
Occasional Contributor

Yes. I am well aware of the spammers' intentions and I never play along with them. This does not alleviate the problem though. I would have thought a large service provider like Optus might be a little more pro-active in managing and eliminating these pests as they emerge.

Yesterday I was told by an Optus 'Technical Supervisor' to send 3 or 4 of the spam emails I was getting to <abuse@optusnet.com.au> and indeed there is a message on there own website suggesting precisely that. Yet, after doing so, I received a curt response from Optus saying do not send spam email to this address and that by doing so I could be compromising the Optusnet network! Excuse me - I was doing as told by your own people and your own website. Very confusing and frustrating.

Now I've been told by Optus to open the offending email(s) in Optus webmail (a program I don't generally use) and hit the 'report spam' button. Only problem is, I cannot see any 'report spam' button anywhere!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors