I want to switch a long standing POP account to iMAP. I have been unable to find anyone on the technical support line (4 attempts) who even knows what this means.
My email is on optusnet.com.au
Does Optus provide iMAP at all? Any pointers appreciated!
Solved! Solved: Go to Solution.
We definitely do. There's an article we have up on the forum → Setting up my Optusnet email | POP 3 VS IMAP . Now, I've had to send this article for review by the relevant area of the business. Customers do seem to be having trouble setting up email on their devices despite the instructions given.
I'm going to try my best to get the page updates as soon as I can.
thanks very much for this reply. I have googled myself into that page many times! But thanks. I have definitely tried to close my existing POP and reopen as IMAP using MacMail a few times now ... I also did this with screen sharing AppleCare to monitor whether I was doing something wrong. MacMail never gives me the option to open this particular account as anything but POP. This is contrary to what I have done with emails that I have on another domain where everything goes smoothly ... MacMail always offered a choice.
The conclusion at Applecare after many calls to them was that the optus account appears to be in some way hardwired to POP at your end and that the MacMail client is detecting that in some way.
Seems very strange to me and as you have said that Optus definitely offers IMAP (which anyone would expect!) I am still hopeful that this can be made to work ... once again any help appreciated
The team I contacted did respond back after reviewing the article. They've confirmed that the settings are still correct. When manually re-configuring your Optus Email account, there's no option to select IMAP as the account type? This should be under incoming Mail settings → Advanced IMAP or Exchange settings?
Are you using the instructions outlined here?
Have you tried setting up your Optusnet email from scratch rather than changing the existing configuration (removing the Optus mail box completely and setting it up again)?
1. On your Mac, open System Preferences.
2. Click Internet Accounts.
3. Click Add Other Account...
4. Select Add a Mail account and click Create.
5. Complete the full name, full email address and password fields.
6. Click Create.
7. A message will appear saying "Account must be manually configured". Click Next.
8. For the Incoming Mail Server Info, select the IMAP for account type. Complete the required fields: Mail Server, User Name (enter your full email address), and Password.
9. Click Next.
10. For the Outgoing Mail Server Info, fill in the required fields: SMTP Server (mail.example.com), User Name (enter your full email address), and Password.
11. Click Create.
12. Your account is now created, and you'll see an account summary page.