cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: home phone rate increase/cancel the service/waive cancellation fee?

Paragraphs Smiley Surprised

Yes I get the exaperation in your voice. My advice is to pay the amount ($155?) requested now (unless its too much for your budget)

As you say non payment can have far reaching consequences (These days non payment of a bill (even if Optus fault) will be added to your credit rating after a month or so and can be difficult to remove.) 

Optus will get there in the end and can refund any overpayments. From your post you should be able to clearly identify where Optus has gone wrong (tally up payments, fees, etc.) and end up with a figure still owed to you. The credit department can then either dispute that amount (and tell you why) or refund it. If unsuccessful then you have the TIOs number.

But for now, pay the bill and remove the urgency/stress of getting it sorted.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Kamera
Occasional Contributor

If I had used paragraphs, it wouldn't have fit. 

Second point.... I was told I was not being charged for disconnection fees, and obviously, I am.  I'm not going to pay for something that I do not owe.

If, they decide to get pathetically stupid about the situation, then I will ask the courts for more than just my funds back.

I will be seeking punitive.  

Is that enough paragraph usage for you ?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Much more digestible Smiley Happy not sure I've hit a posting limit (and I've written some pretty long ones myself)

I understand the mistake is on Optus end. However until it is sorted you'll be the one's paying for it. Getting follow on effects (like removing entries on your credit rating) will be up to you, not Optus.

Its always fun to talk about courts Smiley Happy, but the reality is matters such as this almost never end up there. You've already suggested one of the main problems now is not so much the money but the huge amount of wasted time and effort involved in getting Optus to sort this out. you can either keep going down that path or reduce the hassle (either way will see you get a refund eventually). So my suggestion would be:

1. Maybe a last call through to Optus Credit department (the cheque might already be in the mail).

2. If no luck pay the bill (or not)

3. Cease communications (that obviously aren't working)

4. Write a proper letter of complaint to the complaints department, detailing what was said, charged, paid and what you want back.

5.  Maybe that works (you should at least get a complaint reference number) 

6. If not, after 10 days, forward letter to TIO and let them sort it out for you.

7. Done

Alternatively, hire a lawyer and get to work building a case to recover your $150 (+ $10,000 in compensation presumably Smiley Wink)

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Hi @Kamera, it's disappointing you've had so much trouble getting this sorted out. Going off what you've said, the outstanding charges should be credited back. Could you send me a PM with your full name, account details and DOB so I can look into the status of the investigation? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

My case is already built 🙂

If I didn't have the concrete evidence that I said I had, then I wouldn't have posted a comment to Beguin with 😉

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Sorry,  dyslexic finger moment.  

*begin is the proper spelling.  

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Kamera

Good Luck. BTW there is an EDIT option for posts in the ^ menu (disappears after a while).

Maybe @Tris can sort it through.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors