Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor sara-mara
Occasional Contributor

home phone rate increase/cancel the service/waive cancellation fee?

Hi There,

I received a letter dated on 19th June from Optus reminding that a price increase on some home phone rate had come to effective from 21st May. Due to this price increase, I quoted below from the letter “If, as a result of this price increase, you’d like to cancel our service, just call us before 3 August 2017 and we will waive any cancellation fees.” and “To chat online visit optus.com.au/yourplanupdate, or call us on 1300 617 0646 (Mon to Fri8am-8pm,Sat 9am-6pm AEST)” . I am currently on $80 plan and not using home phone that much. So I decided to take this chance to downgrade and save some money. I initially was thinking about switching to TPG for its $59.95 plan. Then I checked Optus website and found that they have a $60 plan. So I thought I might stay with Optus and change to this one. But I could not do it myself online as I had to agree to accept $80 cancellation fee first to change the plan. So I chatted with someone from Optus team online and surprisingly he never heard of this letter, and neither his manager. So he doubted the letter is authentic as they never send out a letter to suggest customer cancel the service. They suggested me to go to an Optus store to verify the letter’s authenticity. I was astonished utterly. I felt like I was the one lying. My understanding is since I am with Optus on a contract and Optus kind of breached some agreement first by increasing call rate so it’s reasonable they allow customers to have a second chance either to cancel or stay. Am I right? I asked the guy to escalate the issue to his top management but I doubt I will hear anything back from him. When I said I can scan the letter and email to him he said he has no email access and neither his manager, which I suspect it’s not true. Anyone had same issue?

Thanks,

Sara-Mara

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: home phone rate increase/cancel the service/waive cancellation fee?

Optus customer service can be pretty hit and miss. Different staff have different knowledge and capabilities. 

For certain you just need to call Optus and try again. You're correct, OPtus have changed the plan and are required to allow you to walk away with no penalty if you want. DOn't try the online option as the letter says you need to call (and Optus does a lot of this stuff manually behind the scene)

FWIW the $60 plan keeps your phone (good for very occassional calls) but it costs per call or $10 extra a month for unlimited calls in Oz. Internet is limited to 12Mbps and cannot be increased for any reason (or $).

Regards 

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter.

Thank you for your reply. I will make a call to optus and I might give a second thought on switching.

Just wonder if you know the speed limit for $80 plan. I counld not find it online. I did a test yesterday at home on my phone and got only 5.7Mbps. My family complain internet being slow sometimes. Any factors affected the speed?

Thanks again!

Sara-Mara

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Factors affecting speed? Smiley Happy Quite a broad question but see here for a good run down. Also here.

For a family of internet users (stream any Netflix?) you will generally want 25Mbps available. The $80 plan starts at this speed. you can boost up to 50 or 100 Mbps by paying any$10-$20 at anytime in the future if needed (You can't on the $60 plan) - see here for Optus speed packs explained.

Are you on ADSL now? In via the phone line? Can you get the NBN? Check your address here.

FWIW unless you are a very straight forward internet user then the $60 plan is too constrivting IMO. However Optus will let you upgrade to the $80 plan whenever if you feel the need without penalty.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

NBN is not available in my area. We are still on ADSL2 via phone line. We normlly only get around 5 Mbps. I am not sure if it's normal considering as you said many factors would affect the speed. I was just wondering if I would get the same speed if I change to $60 plan but it's cheaper cost-wise.

Appreiate your help.

Thanks,

Sara-Mara

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Sara,

While you remain on ADSL then your speeds will remain pretty much the same no matter what plan you are on (So the 12 Mbps plan would still just give you 5-6 Mbps). So as long as you are happy with the phone call charges on the $60 plan (pay $10 more each month for unlimited around Australia or don't and just make very few calls, answer calls all you want for free). Then the plan has no real downside. When the NBN does hit your area and you transition to the NBN (via Optus because you are on a 24 month plan) then it will hopefully boost up to 12 Mbps. You will also be able to tell Optus to bump you to the $80 plan (if you want) and go up to 25Mbps etc.

So in a nut shell, until the NBN rolls around the $60 plan seems fine.

Last Minute Addition: Appears you can do a month to month option for the $60 plan. Read details here. Possibly only available via online signup. Its actually just $60 with $200 possibly if you want to change over to NBN at any stage (once its available). I'd do that.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Understand now, will give Optus a call to change to $60 preferably month to month.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Sara

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Kamera
Occasional Contributor

Yes !!!  I'm having the same issue now !

They are trying to charge me a cancelation fee also.  I don't believe that they didn't send out the letter, nor do I believe they don't have an email where you can send a scanned copy also.  Its quite ridiculous on their part to try and ignore this issue after losing a court case for false advertising.  I'm sure the magistrate will be next if they persue being ignorant.  

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Kamera

So what is actually happening in your case? We might be able to offer some options.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Kamera
Occasional Contributor

It is exactly what happened to the person I replied to... I received a letter telling me of the price increase, with the option to cancel my contract, without penalties.  I contacted optis by phone on the last day of our billing cycle and canceled.  Because of previous complications with billing, I asked for a confirmation email stipulating the terms of our phone conversation.  The text I received said, "Thank you for today. Effective as of today, 7/5/2017, your service will be canceled and no service fee involve, I'll be personally monitor your account to insure charges will be waived. Final bill will be sent to you within 7-10 business days. Reference CP535968.  Thanks Danie".  No final bill came within 7-10 days.  In fact the " bill" including cancelation fees of $25.56 for the phone, $102.27 for the optis DSL, a $39.06 "overdraft charge for service for a month that we hadn't had the service for, and an overpayment credit to the bill of $45.33 because of Optis overcharging me AFTER having the service moved to our new residence.  The bill totalled $179.67, issue date 22/7/2017.  I called them....  This is the response, "Hi Kamera, this message is to state that the contract cancellation fee that you have been charged is been referred to Credit case management team and also applied an adjustment of $39.06 in the account.  Thanks Shijil".  After this conversation, in which I asked for the $45.33 overpayment to be returned,  which I also have recorded, I was supposed to receive a call from this Credit case management team, which of course I never received.  Now we are up to 22/8/2017.... I receive ANOTHER bill from optis.  This one states that I am $140.61 OVERDUE, and adds $15.11 as a " late payment fee", to add insult to injury, so to speak.  I called optis AGAIN..... This time, no text message, just a person named Sam telling me that once again its being referred BACK to the Credit case management team, and that, once again, he has requested a refund of the over payed amount of $45.33 in the email sent to this branch of optis, and that I'm supposed to be receiving a call from them in the next three days.  

As you have probably guessed, I am fairly fed up with dealing with this issue, and the next steps will be contacting the proper authorities that oversee these kinds issues. 

On a side note, they pulled this same stunt on my husband a couple of years ago, not knowing he had an "outstanding bill"  with them (cough, cough) we were denied a loan that we needed at the time because of an "optis bill that supposedly wasn't paid".  It never it existed, and it cost us over $2,000 to fix for a $240.00 cancellation bill, that was allegedly "taken care of" the same way they told me mine was "taken care of" in the first text message I received from Danie.  

Any input would be great.  Thanx