Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

email address or tel number for complaints

Does anyone know an email address or telephone number to contact Optus to complain? It seems neither are available. I guess they know they'd be swamped with complaints if access to complain were provided!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How incompetent is Optus?

We recently made the mistake of transferring our home-line and ASDL service from Telstra to Optus. On May 30th Telstra ported our line to Optus, although it took the incompetent fools at optus until June 8th to provide a service. On July 12th, after just 34 days of service, they terminated our service, but didn’t bother to send any communication informing us of this. After many hours of communicating with their USLESS service people we understand it was terminated due to ‘a fault with Telsta’ – a fault they are unable to explain. This is a lie as Telstra had no control over the line once ported to Optus.

We want to go back to Telstra, but Optus have quarantined our line and will not release it to Telsta, neither are they willing to help us. All they have agreed to do is have someone call us in 5-7 business days – to be clear, that’s to call us to discuss the issue and not to fix the problem. These people are fools.

We now have to pay for a new line and new number at Telstra because Optus, having taken our line from Telstra, will not release it back to Telstra – even though they have terminated our service for no explainable reason.

In the meantime, we will report this to the TIO. If anyone knows someone with Telsta’s legal division, we would naturally appreciate an introduction, as we are keen to share the transcripts of Optus unfairly blaming Telstra for their own ineptness. Also, would be keen to get some publicity behind Optus’ uselessness and their desire to unfairly – and incorrectly - blame the competition – any suggestions much appreciated!

If  anyone is considering moving from Telsta to Optus I recommend they refrain from doing so. They are completely incompetent and their faceless customer service is well below acceptable standards.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: email address or tel number for complaints

They have an online form however there has been some debate over if the form actually works. If you are going to write a lengthy complaint I would suggest you write and save it to word incase the form fails.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/enquiries?

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/complaints-compliments?requestType=NormalRequest&id=140...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How incompetent is Optus?

Telstra also have a forum and you can post on there if you wish. An optus staff member offered to look into the issue for you on your other post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus have made the choice not to give (require) their staff to take ownership of issues. For smaller cases this can be annoying sometimes but presumably generally works - a couple of calls (to different support staff) and the problem is resolved. In cases like yours I think Optus approach is significantly lacking. IMO a single point of contact should be assigned and whatever the (significant) issue it should be followed through.

That said, Optus don't control the telephone lines. As the national carrier Telstra has a "universal service obligation" to provide copper to every home. Only Telstra can repair these wires. Other Telcos have traditionally paid Telstra a "line fee" which esentially allows them to rent the line to your home (although Telstra are still responsible for maintaining it). This arrangement is fast coming to a close as now the NBNCo is taking responsibility for all the copper, cable and fibre to Australian homes. All Telcos contine to 'rent' access to your home (including Telstra now). 

But on ADSL Telstra is still in charge. Optus should definitely be managing this better on your behalf (Similar for their NBN customers where they are responsible for contacting the NBNCo on their behalf). You should be able to contact Telstra directly to find out what physical issue there is with your line. 

I would suggest a written complaint to Optus (letter) that is usually taken more seriously internally. The TIO also usually want you to have done that before they step in. Perhaps a mod can step in and try find out what the specific issue is on the system?

When are you getting the NBN?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That's a good idea - I'll appeal for a legal contact at Telstra on their site.

The Optus person who contacted me unfortunately confirmed that the best they can do is have someone call us in 5-7 business days to discuss the problem. This is unsatisfactory and we will have had to order, and pay for, a new line via Telstra by then. It's a shame to lose the number we've had for years but there's really no alternative as Optus won't release it. It's a high price to pay for 34 days of 'service' from Optus!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter.

We are not on NBN and so far there doesn't appear to be a date for us to be accessed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: email address or tel number for complaints

Thank you.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I assume you've done the NBN Checker? Most properties should have something there on arrival dates  (NBNCo did a big update a few months ago) but there does seem to remain some gaps. Hopefully the NBN once arrived should make changing between services a lot simpler (as every Telco big and small will all be using the same infrastructure)

Good luck with getting connectd again.

Peter Gillespie

PS just a thought, running ADSL and FTTC simultaneously over the same line is possibly causing the drop outs? I don't know but getting Optus to temporarily suspend any and all ADSL signal (just for one day) might see some improvement - but that's just a guess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the advice Peter.

0 Kudos