Searching...

disgracefully slow download speeds

feralchook

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2625959039.png

What's going on? When we first signed up for the superfast download speeds we were consistently getting speeds of 102 down / 1.8 up. I don't wish to be patronized here, let me make that abundantly clear. The problem is not here at this residence; it's not the modem (because at 4am the speeds can be @pprox 85 down and 1.7 up, but I want to be up at 4am to do massive downloads) and it's not the computers. A few months after signing up for superfast, the download speeds decreased markedly and stayed that way for some time. It was impossible to watch YouTube with its buffering and stuttering (as is the case more often than not once again :\ ) Then, the speeds seemed to be 'fixed' towards the end of 2012, until a couple of months ago, when almost overnight the daytime speeds dropped to 3 to 4 meg / sec down at best. I would like to know what Optus is going to do about it, when is the problem going to be fixed? Has Optus any plans to implement added infrastructure to cope with demand? The last thing I want to be told is that if I don't like it to go somewhere else. I'm looking forward to this being fixed. Currently, as evidenced by the link above, I'm getting speeds slower than when it was just the 'normal' optus package...

Re: disgracefully slow download speeds

feralchook
>>but I want to be up at 4am to do massive downloads)
make that ''but I DON'T want to be up at 4am to do massive downloads)

ronrjt
same here Smiley Sad today http://speedtest.net/result/2630922801.png what i used to get 24/7 http://speedtest.net/result/1271280067.png note the dates.
Posted from Facebook

feralchook

Well Optus, come on, what do you have to say? Stop buggerizing subscribers around and FIX the PROBLEMS.

ronrjt
thats right.... i guess they didnt count on me having my own speedwave on speedtest.net which saves my results from the last 2 + years.
Posted from Facebook

Tom

Hi feralchook, I'm really sorry about the service performance you've been experiencing on your internet recently. We are aware that some exchanges may be facing congestion issues at certain times, and we are constantly performing maintenance and adding capacity to our network to address this.

If you call our faults team on 131344, they can check your service to ensure that there are no other reasons why this would be happening, and let you know about any upgrades that may be happening in your area.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Highlighted

Turtle

I like the 6 day lag to a response from Optus staff. A little like the timelyness of optus service at times (wait and it should come good, maybe a few seconds, maybe a few hours)

Rock
How's my performance ?

Test Date: Apr 14, 2013 9:42 PM
Download: 0.40 Mbps
Upload: 1.23 Mbps
Ping: 203 ms

feralchook

I'm just off the phone to a most helpful and polite lady who straight away told me that there is congestion on the line, (surprise, surprise!) Anyway I was given a timeline for a fix: May 31. Over 6 weeks away.... The lady said it should be a *permanent* fix and should be able to stand up to additional subscribers in the future. ~ When I first tried to sign up for Optus cable in 1999/2000, after booking a time for the installers to come I received a phone call saying that the installation would need to be delayed for a fortnight because there were too many subscribers at the time and that adding more users would impact upon the service speeds until upgrades were implemented. Why haven't Optus done that this time around? Egad, could it be a grab for the almighty dollar rather than looking after existing clients? I'm led to wonder if new subscribers are given better speeds than long time subscribers, because they'd be very disappointed in the speeds that I (and a whole bunch of other subscribers) are achieving. My speed dropped from 50-70 Mb overnight to 3-4 at best, as if someone flipped a switch. It's like that every day.

I'd be interested to hear from new subscribers but perhaps they don't come here, lol.

Ryan

Hey feralchook - thanks for your patience. There's definitely a lot of work/ upgrades that will be taking place over the next few months, however it's a good idea to point out that the dates you've mentioned are tentative and may be subject to change depening on a number of factors. Is it only during peak times when there's more traffic on the network that you're noticing the drop in your connection speeds or is this also happening during the day too?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
84 Kudos
72 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
27 Kudos