cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

philos188
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

deleting an e-mail from webmail also deletes it from outlook

I was told by Optus Customer Service Representative that deleting e-mails from the webmail will not affect them in Outlook, i.e., they will still be available in Outlook. Based on this advice I went ahead and deleted all my e-mails from webmail.  Upon logging into my Outlook I discovered that all my e-mails have vanished. Some of them are pretty important. Any idea what's going on? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_YC

Re: deleting an e-mail from webmail also deletes it from outlook

Hey @philos188 - It's not great that there has been an issue with your emails.

Can I just clarify that the emails were deleted via a Computer or on a device that was being used by yourself? Could you share a bit more information in this regard? Was it done through a third party App that was logged into your email? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

It will be because you have set up outlook in POP3 mode instead of IMAP. See here.

Have you checked the deleted mail folder on webmail to see if they are still there?

philos188
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It's was done using my laptop.

0 Kudos
philos188
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Nop. They are all gone.
0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @philos188, the deleted emails will be moved to the trash folder. Please login into webmail directly as you will be able to retrieve the emails from the trash folder. Unless you deleted them from the trash folder as well. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
philos188
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The e-mails were deleted from the trash folder as well. I assumed that every e-mail counts toward the quota of 500MB irrespective of the folder in which it resides.
0 Kudos
Joeblogs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi philos188, give optus email the flick and just use Gmail. Happy new year!
0 Kudos
philos188
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yep. That's a good advice. Pity I haven't done it beforehand. Thanks Joeblogs.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc wrote:

It will be because you have set up outlook in POP3 mode instead of IMAP. 

Just came across this old post of mine and realised that I've written it wrong way around. It should read:

It will be because you have set up outlook in IMAP mode instead of POP3.

To clarify why, its because with IMAP, webmail content is synced with Outlook so what you do in one is reflected in the other, whereas with POP3, Outlook will download whats in webmail to your device and once on your device it cannot be deleted from the device if you delete it in webmail.

@Optus To avoid any confusion in the future can you please edit my original post with the correction.

0 Kudos