cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: data usage

You had me up to the "My solicitors" bit 🐵 I'm sure Optus (and their laywers on retainer) much have a chuckle when people start talking about suing Optus over $50 a month or so of charges ($50 being about enough to cover five minutes of legal advice). I'm doubly impressed that your team also doubles as IT experts with monitoring equipment (or perhaps they've been called in from elsewhere too at additional expense? 🐵

Anyway, you'll get no argument from me that the Optus wireless offering is badly rigged. Optus do sell a lot of data at a very good price though so while I'd normally say look elsewhere its hard to get a similar plan anywhere else. Optus are very dodgy when it comes to reporting data usage. It can be 2 days after the fact and come in as a big bunch all at once. That people can't disable the auto top ups manually is IMO probably illegal (and definitely unconscionable - but no doubt endlessly profitable for Optus)

I'd suggest going to the TIO (rather than the lawyers) as they're free and Optus are actually scared a little bit of the TIO. But I suspect all that will result in is being able to leave your contract which you're free to do now anyway.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Peter, I am glad you were amused. And you are completely correct in regards to the size and qualifications of the Optus legal team. They are an expensive juggernaut, a necessity to large corrupt corporations. I have no illusions or desires of bringing Optus to its knees, I am well and truly outgunned. But you are completely incorrect of their concern with the TIO, as they will do nothing in the way of harming Optus in any way. Outcomes which usually amount to nothing and are usually not publicly published anyway do no damage. A lost public court case will cost them very little directly, however the negative media attention can have ramifications lasting long after the event. Peter my guess is that you already knew that as you directly pointed me towards the TIO and mocked any legal action. Seeding forums like this one with Company personal acting as concerned fellow users is common practice for corporations. So how long have you worked for Optus? Filing has already taken place anyway, so Optus already knows . Your comment over $50 stolen per month is irrelevant, I'll spend 100k plus as I won't be paying the legal costs in the end anyway, and will be receiving damages. Although I personally dislike the litigious direction,  but it is the only way corporations will alter their illegal actions. This is not my first rodeo either as your employee will soon find out. Please feel free to ridicule, as it's in the employee training manual and will only provide more evidence. Besides I too have a chuckle at the attempts, as I know and the end of this you won't find it very funny at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply and suggestions for the discrepancies on the reported data being used. I do agree that the way an end user may calculate usage incorrectly is a common cause for the difference. This is why we have implemented bidirectional data capture with physical hardware pre local network, directly via the modem hardware and two software applications used by forensic accountants for data logging. WiFi Security is extremely tight, besides all connections are monitored and are logged into a database negating any sneaky activity, and nothing has ever appeared. Even with these profesional methods some discrepancies can occur, but usually only within a very tight margin. Using these four separate methods allow for a calculated average admissible in any legal action. Besides as Optus has refused to supply working software showing reported use or even a single itemised bill for the entire contracted period, it is all we can go on. My actions posting this were obviously to point out and warn other users of Optus methods for defrauding its customers, but mainly to seek out more evidence in illegal covert activities. Such as how they seed public forums with paid staff misrepresenting the truth and guiding future complaints in the direction which most suits the corporations agenda. Luckily that has already worked with the very outspoken and prevalent  yescrowd member and suspected  paid Optus staff  "Petergdownload". His replies and suggestions are textbook company propaganda and were extremely helpful in supplying evidence to forward the case, not that it was needed. But a little icing always makes the cake more delicious. Thanks again for your advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Gosh. You are insightful (or perhaps just prone to flights of fancy?) 

Lets rewind 24 hours and check a recent post of mine (I was almost fired because of that one 😀). Heck just read the second paragraph of my response to your post. If you care to go back further you'll find many posts, some supportive and others highly critical of Optus. Most are just trying to help out individuals.

But this isn't about me (I don't care if you spend $100,000 suing Optus over a $150 issue). I only suggest that posts threatening legal action generally lack any credibility. That you seem to have skipped both Optus and the industry regulator isn't something the courts wouldn't look favourably on. That you don't understand the built in time delay on data updates suggests a lack of awareness of the contract you've signed. That you think the exact amount of data you've (apparently) measured is in anyway relevant to how Optus measure and charge for data again lacks technical understanding. That you somehow think the unsubstantiated postings of a stranger on a public forum are in any way legally admissible of anything only confirms a complete lack of legal consultation.

I'm not even sure what the idea of a 'win' is here? There's no punitive costs here. Just a $150 disagreement that Optus would probably just agree to pay at some point through the proceedings (each party to pay its own legal costs) if they wanted to make it disappear.

As I've said before, the processes and methodology Optus use to inform customers on their data usage is woeful. Its also quite deliberate given Optus can track prepaid data customers data usage to the kb and to the second. I hope one day the ACCC takes Optus apart on this but to date that hasn't happened (although the ACCC has made a number of high profile penalties on Optus recently)

Good luck with your case. Its a pity that even in the unlikely event you got a judgement in your favour it won't help the rest of us.

Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@petergdownload Sorry to see that you've been accuse of misleading and doing propaganda for Optus, perhaps you should also invoke your lawyers. 

@DaBeagle is not here for help from the forum or to seek solution or work out how the account has racked up so much data usage. I think he is trying to create bad publicity and try to push Optus to, well to be responsible for his data usage or an accounting fault in the system? I am sure with all the strong Wifi security, fancy bi directional data monitoring and forensic accountants, that all the due diligent has been done and are water tight.   Ofcourse, there is only 1 user on the system that is using data and no one else using the data.  I must say, my data usage has gone up from 10Mb per day when I was on the 14.4k modem to about 125Gb with my NBN connection. I too have a very strong wifi network and have data monitoring on my PC to see where all my data has gone. It only show about 90Gb, it must be Optus over charging me 35Gb per day. Upon further investigation by my forensic accountant, my wife, she found that our daughter's iPad is downloading ads during her free games and she is also enjoying 4K video streaming. 

Why not work with Optus and see where the data usage are? I am very surprise on the third month that you've racked up so much data even with the device(modem) switched off. I would switch to another ISP while the lawyers are doing their things. 

@petergdownload is a great contributor to the forum, I respect him as a person, someone with great knowledge and provide an unbiased opinion. On another note, @petergdownload have you receive your BWM from Optus this month? I still enjoying my Porsche from their last month's bonus(*Joke*). 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks @SillyGogo  (even if you are only one of my shadow accounts 😀). I do try to be unbiased (although unfortunately that's not a synonym for 'correct' yet). Still hanging out for a Tesla.

0 Kudos