cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: data usage

Thank you. Yes, I never have this problem before. It is just recently. At first I thought it was because we are working from home but it doesn’t seem like a reason for data being used madly like this. I will try to observe a few more days and hopefully can get Optus to check this. 😞
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Taodo wrote:
because we are working from home but it doesn’t seem like a reason for data being used madly like this.

As work software (VPN?) seems to be a new addition to your regular usage that could potentially add a lot if there is a lot of data syncing happening.

If you use remote desktop that alone can easily use 1GB for per day, and much much more depending on what you are doing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc I use Citrix software to synch to my work computer! I checked my data during the working hours, it only used about 1gb. Plus, I do not work during weekend. 😳
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I do not work during weekend. 😳

Maybe your computer is working without you 🤣.  If you using windows computers you can use the resource monitor to see if there is any unexpected network activity coming from them. Leave the resource monitor running in the background for a while and see if there is anything unusual.

I do not work during weekend. 😳

How about gaming? If either of you game, particularly on a console, game and system updates can be huge, and if they are set to auto update you may not even be aware of that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hahaha, no, both my housemate and I use Macbook. We also do not play games, maybe mobile games like candy crush 😂!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have had the same problem for the last 2 weeks. In 13 days it said we had used 425gb. That’s about 32GB per day. I can see if f you have one or two days using that much, but 13 days. No way. We have never used that much in that time. We would normally average about 250gb per month. Thrived getting hold off Optus but phone is no good and the app they keep saying the will get back to me but never do.

Only thing I found that if I block all my devices it still has a upload speed of 200 to 300 Kbps. Not sure if that counts towards the usage.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Frutsel wrote:
Only thing I found that if I block all my devices it still has a upload speed of 200 to 300 Kbps.

@ 300 kbps that's 0.135 GB per hour (3.24 GB per day).

Not sure if that counts towards the usage.

Al usage, uploads and downloads, are counted.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Oh! We seems to have the same issue. After posting here to ask for opinion, I tried to call optus too but after hours waiting on the phone, they hang up on me! I also tried to message them on my Optus app and kind of get one of them to response around 7AM (they did not response immediately, needed to wait 1-2 hours) ! I’m not sure if this helps but when I typed my name, then my issues, no one replied. But when I added “unauthorised activities”, Optus got back to me.

But the first staff I chatted with could not do anything and prefer me to the (expert) team. So, I waited for another 2 hours to chat with the other staff. He suggested that my data might be stolen and he helped me to change my password. We have monitored for a few days, checked data almost every hour to compare and it seems fine for now. (Hopefully it’s really fine because I am sick of checking my data)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have never used more than 400Gb in a month for the previous 6 years with my previous ISP, but had to switch due to ADSL line being cut. My first month was fine with Optus and came in well under the 500 Gb Data limit. Third day into 2nd month the usage app stopped working, told them, then I was blocked from the website and yes crowd. That month they charged me for the 500Gb and 5 top ups of $10.  My usage meter (private) showed 385 Gb used. Generally each month now they tell me my 500gb has run out within a couple of days before the end. Then hit me with 5 extra blocks within the dying hours of that month. Even telling me I had used 50Gb  in 20 mins, which is physically impossible. Third month I was away for the last 2 weeks so I unplugged everything with now 4 separate private meters all showing within 500mb 295 Gb used (up+down). When I got back that showed 500 Gb plus 5 blocks added with it unplugged? One month they told me I had only used the 500Gb and 2 extra Blocks, but still billed me for the 5 blocks anyway. My solicitors are now involved, and their tech has been monitoring it and told me it's a simple problem. Optus are thieves and telling a total pack of lies and billing $130 per month for a now $68 service each and every month. My advice get a lawyer and sue them like I am..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@DaBeagle If Optus are reporting dodgy usage then they definitely need to be nailed to the wall for that.

I don't recall any person that's reported publicly of dodgy Optus data counting to ever report back that it was proven, so I doubt Optus are actually doing that (but their usage reporting can definitively lag, and its reprehensible how much they charge for excess usage and without any option to opt-out).

I'm betting that some of your increased usage at least is simply caused by the fact that you now have a faster connection. Most/all video services like youtube or streaming services like Netflix would automatically increased the quality of the videos delivered to you once they detected that you have a faster connection, which results in much more data being used.

As for monitoring, unless that's done on the router that manages the internet connection, chances are that something is still being missed, maybe game console(s), or some overlooked wifi connected device, or some neighbour using an unsecured or breached wifi connection of yours.