cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

data theft

My next door neighbor has just come in very embarrassed

His teenage son who is addicted to the Net and quite devious has been logging on to my account from next door and using my data

I do not know what sites he has been on or for how long this has been occurring

1. how can I stop this unlawful access

2. How do I find out what sites he has visited and potentially put me at risk!!!

8 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: data theft

@mouldingg56 wrote:

1. how can I stop this unlawful access

Change all your routers wifi passwords to very strong passwords. Have you ever changed the default password that came with your router?

2. How do I find out what sites he has visited and potentially put me at risk!!!

You can't. 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its not that much of an issue.

a) Kudos for the neighbour letting you know. I'd imagine that's the end of the issue as he will have had words with his son.

b) Changing the password on your modem should be sufficient to stop access.

c) There's no risk to you from him using your modem. It supplies data to his device. Yours are fine.

d) I don't know if the Optus modem has it but most modems enable you to authorise specific devices only for wifi. You may wish to consider getting another modem with this feature if the issue persists.

e) Ultimately you have unlimited data. If there Dad can't control them its actually not a huge deal if they keep using it?

f) You might like to ask your neighbour how they have setup their wifi. If the son is stealing it from you then presumably they haven't been able to get it from their own home.
Highlighted

Hi @mouldingg56, thanks for reaching  out to us here.  To avoid any unauthorised use of   your WiFi you'll have to update your password. To do this you just have to do a modem rest. To reset your modem, please follow these instructions → Turn the back of your modem towards you. Tap and hold the Factory reset button for about 7 seconds using a sharp-pointed object (such as a paper clip). Wait while your modem restores the factory default settings.

Once you have done this your modem WiFi password will be set to the default (written on the sticker at back or underneath the modem).  Once you have done this, you can change your WiFi password to something else and something more secure. To change your WiFi password please open a browser and type in 192.168.0.1. Now you can login to the modem and change your WiFi password. Your modem login details are on the sticker on the bottom of the modem or you can try admin as your Username and "password" as password. 

Please refer to our Email Help & Support page for further assistance. If the issue still continues then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the messaging service to assist you further. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Aman_YC 

Why on earth are you saying that you need to do a factory reset just to change wifi passwords?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Agree with YetAnother above, why is a factory reset appropriate here?

What is odd is that the neighbour's son was able to break into the wifi. The default wifi password are strong and WPA2 AES is really difficult to crack; I've not heard of it being done in a real world situation. Perhaps he saw the Optus modem magnet on the fridge and remembered it? Damn good memory, if that's what it was.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Dave-P wrote:

Perhaps he saw the Optus modem magnet on the fridge and remembered it? 

The whole concept having the WiFi password on a fridge magnet is so wrong and totally defeats even basic password security. The problems include:

• Gives absolutely everyone that enters your house access to your WiFi, including trades people.
  • As the WiFi password is the same as the router password, everyone will also have full control of the router.
  • Even if it was only a guest WiFi network password (which Optus routers don't have, but really should) its still not something that you want absolutely everyone that enters the house to have access to.
  • It strongly discourages people from changing any default WiFi/router passwords because they are on the fridge magnet, and if they change it, then the fridge magnet will be of no use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

I too take cyber security seriously, especially with my password. I make sure it is at least 20 characters in length, with 30% special characters, 10% upper case, no repeating sequence, non dictionary words and so on. In fact it so complex that I can't remember it, so I printed the password on labels and stick them near where I need to enter the password each time, like next to my keyboard. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks

Problem sorted

Yet to receive apology from feral child