Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
SyrianPrince123
New Contributor
New Contributor

covid 19 bonus data for 4g users

Hi,

I am happy to be shown to be wrong, but, as a 4G internet customer I am not getting any covid 19 related extra data as other customers are. In fact, if I use up my allowance I have to pay $10/gb which in itself is expensive. Is this fair and equitable when other users are handed extra? I use 4g because it's the best service I can get in a rural area so being connected is even more important for my family in these new times...

Just putting it out there

Cheers and be well everyone

5 Replies
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: covid 19 bonus data for 4g users

Already been posted numerous times with the same answer.
4g network is a shared network with only soo much capacity to go around, Optus already offers plans in excess of 5 times more then Telstra & Vodafone e.g. 500Gb Wireless Broadband.
SyrianPrince123
New Contributor
New Contributor

OK Thx for the reply, but it is not really only  a capacity issue is it? The same number of users - close enough to anyway -  on a daily basis downloading the same volumes per day, or similar.... I won't overload the capacity if I download some bonus Gb on Friday after downloading the last Gb of my plan on Thursday.

In my rural location, I am far from hitting the max d/l speed any time.

0 Kudos
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

May not apply to you, but in metro - congestion is a very real thing.
Its equivalent to a water pipe, only so much to go around.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It is exactly a capacity thing. Optus 500Gb 4G allowance is already extremely generous in terms of what the network can manage. (IMO its not handling that well as it is) Giving free data to wireless customers has not been done because the network can't handle it (not because Optus secretly don't like their wireless users and want to punish them)
0 Kudos
Ness007
New Contributor
New Contributor

@SyrianPrince123  I've just cut and paste from the Help & Support page:

https://www.optus.com.au/support

COVID-19 Support: Bonus Data

We're giving all eligible Postpaid mobile customers a one-off add-on of 20GB bonus data per service which can be activated through the My Optus app or My Account anytime during the month of April and is valid for 30 days from activation.

------------

I think the key term here is 'Eligible'. It's difficult to get hold of anyone at the moment, especially as many of the off shore contact centres aren't working due to their country's lock down laws, so I guess we all need to be patient trying to get answers at the moment. I'm just trawling the net trying to find answers to my questions and hoping for the best. 

0 Kudos