Searching...

can't open Chinese websites

SSL

Since October many Chinese websites can't be open from my cable service.
I've tried the device troubleshoot guide on the support page. Restart modem, clear cache etc. only in vain. I'm not an expert, I searched some solutions, but nothing works. However, here are some observations and I hope someone can help.

1. It's widespread. Lots of sites are inaccessible.
Error in chrome: [web address] took too long to respond. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
Error in Edge: Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND
Examples are www.boc.cn (Bank of China), www.stats.gov.cn (Bureau of Statistics) www.pbc.gov.cn (People's Bank of China), www.10010.com (China Unicom).

2. Tried to traceroute www.10010.com, it stopped at 219.158.113.138, a node in China.

3. Using VPN and same pc, I can access those sites.

4. Using optus mobile network tethering, I can access those sites.

5. Using telstra mobile network tethering, I can access those sites.

My guess is that the cable network wrongly relays the traffic to a dead end, or the node in China just goes silent on the request.

Appreciate if anyone can help.
Thanks in advance.

Re: can't open Chinese websites

SSL

Anyone experiencing the same? Anyone can help? Moderator too busy? I also tried to edit DNS to google servers but it didn’t work. I’m going to lodge with Optus. 

Highlighted

Dan_C

Sorry @SSL, it’s been incredibly busy on the forum over the last 2 days. I'm doing my best to play catch up. 

you've tried to access the same websites after changing from Optus - Google DNS, but the traceroute yields the same result? 

You're welcome to send us a screenshot of the traceroute over PM. I can forward it across to our network team for investigation.

I haven't received any reports of the issue you're describing. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses to private messages will be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Brock98

Hi,

I have got exactly the same issue recently. Not only I could not reach the chinese websites you mentioned, but also www.douban.com, and Baidu netdisk is unaccessible either.

Thanks.

Regards

Brock

Brock98

screen1.png

The above is the status for http://www.boc.cn which shows connection timed out.

Brock98

screen2.png

This is the traceroute for www.boc.cn.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
90 Kudos
75 Kudos
36 Kudos
35 Kudos
32 Kudos