Searching...
Highlighted

cable dropout/slow downs at least 5 times a day

HighPingDropout

really had enough of this sh1t. been going on for many month now. typical last 0.5-1 hour, extreme high ping sub 1mbps speed. definitely not congestion because it can happen any time of day. is it really that hard for you to have a stable internet during off peak times? im talking mornings/noon where almost no one is using the internet. is it possible to cancel my contract because of their quality of service? this internet is literally unusable most of the time. and no nbn still isn't avaliable in my area, and when it is it's just gonna use hfc (just another name for cable congestion). we pay almost highest tax in the world and our internet is the worst in developed countries.

Re: cable dropout/slow downs at least 5 times a day

Jeneral__Pain

Your massive rant about taxation which has NOTHING to do with your internet connection aside... also NBN won’t be using the Optus HFC connections, so that is more irrelevant data.

can you give us some info to actually help you?

what kind of connection? DSL, Cable Or NBN?

(if nbn, which type of nbn?)

what router

can you show us this alleged high ping?

a traceroute to the same destination too please?

how do you connect to said router?

for DSL or FTTN, can you show us the modem stats for the link? (Signal to noise, attenuation, sync speed values).

for cable, login to the modem and copy/paste the channel values and the dbVm values please. 

There may may be a simple fix for this, but we need to see what you are seeing to help.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

HighPingDropout

its a CG3000v2 modem. i just said nbn isnt avaliable in my area...

its cant be due to modem, i signed up over 1 year ago and it only had congestion during peak periods, but over past couple month its being having extremely high ping (2000+ms) and slow speed (0.5mbps) even during offpeak mornings. and if it was modem it would always be like this, but these times seem to be random (10:30pm seemed to be rather consistent though, and a year ago 10:30pm congestion wasn't bad at all)

i'll screenshot another high ping when it happens again. i connect to modem with ethernet no wireless

i dont know wat u mean by dbvm/channel values, is this it?

Untitled.png

right now its not slow/high ping so the modem wont reflect that. ill do it again when it comes.

Jeneral__Pain

Looking at the stats you got me, great they were the right ones! The power levels are a little bit high on the incoming side of things (downstream) but okay on the upstream (outbound) side. 

When the problem occurs, can you post the following:

1. Trace route to the destination... "tracert x.x.x.x (or) dns.name"

2. A ping to the destination using pathping. (it's an external App but gives better indicators than "ping").

(Please note: You don't need to hide anything in the results as they don't reveal your IP).

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

HighPingDropout

Untitled.png

Untitled111.png

the number of times i dropped from online games...

wat do u mean by trace route to destination?

HighPingDropout

another high ping low speed wave hits, middle of day with no congestion, boots me from online gaming

optus you are just amazing. random lag waves when nobody is using your internet. are ur servers made of potatoes?

will never use optus again when nbn comes.

Jeneral__Pain

Your pastes don't show me anything that I can give you that is something to push with Optus. 

A traceroute looks like this...

C:\Users\jenn>tracert 103.240.227.5

Tracing route to 103.240.227.5 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.90.1.254
2 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms loop180150580.bng1.portmel.aussiebb.net [180.150.58.1]
3 4 ms 3 ms 4 ms pc3.core1.portmel.aussiebb.net [180.150.1.113]
4 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms te0-0-0-19.bng1.vdc01.syd.aussiebb.net [202.142.143.117]
5 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms as6507.nsw.ix.asn.au [218.100.52.50]
6 * * * Request timed out.

You'll need the IP of the game you are playing to go hunting for the route. That way we can see where your "ping spikes" actually are in the path. 

Is the game in Australia or overseas? (In particular, is it in South East Asia)?

HighPingDropout

i dont see how this has to do with my games. the internet is unresponsive for everything i do, including google/youtube (my most common usage). during these waves the ping is extremely high and speed average 0.05mbps, and there are at least 5 waves per day. this is frustrating me beyond my limits. can i get an optus rep to check whats going on at my local server? many month ago i didn't have this problem, only congestion during peak times. im sure it's their local server's problem.

Jeneral__Pain

Can you do a trace route to the things that you are having trouble with then please? Replace “game” with whatever is not working.

this will show straight away if the local node or upstream is the problem. 

HighPingDropout

Untitled.png

when i did meter.net it wasnt lagging as bad as youtube. this is a lag wave but not the worst type, i'll post another one when i get the worst type of lag wave. internet was down whole day yesterday, thought they were fixing things but nope, still lag waves with insane ping.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
97 Kudos
90 Kudos
45 Kudos
35 Kudos
33 Kudos