cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

acceptable speed

Hi Guys. I've just started with Optus after moving from TPG and my internet speed in the same house has dropped from 10mbps to under 4 mbps. Is this speed what Optus customers would consider acceptable? It looks like I don't have a cooling off period as I contacted Optus but I really don't like the thought of 2 years of substandard speed.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: acceptable speed

I assume this is dsl and the speeds you are getting are the same all the time and not just during peak? Should that be the case they may be routing to a different exchange than TPG. What did Optus say about the issue?

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes this is Adsl2+. Optus said there isn't a fault on the line and it's a good speed for a connection 2k from the substation. I'm absolutely gutted about this issue. A drop of 6mbps in the same house is bad enough but 3.7mbps is my average speed and that's even below netflix recommended speed. To top it off my neighbour is with optus and her bad line runs at 4.9mbps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well if the physical length is 2km then the speeds you are getting would not appear correct to me. If its 2km as the crow flies then that could mean the physical length is much longer. I would have a look at the link below and see if you can ascertain precisely how far you are from the exchange and what other exchanges are nearby. As a matter of interest have you tried using your TPG modem?

https://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/

adsl-speeds.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

esterdasy 
You are 1174 m from SRWD as the crow flies.
Estimated cable length of 1819.7 m.
Estimated speed of 15000
Zone 1

These are my results from the exchange map. From that, it would seem that I should have a lot faster speed and the Optus staff are being unhelpful. 

I've tried using a different modem. It was giving me a reading of around 3500 for download. Yesterday, I tried setting it up as my Optus router hadn't been delivered and it was reading 11000, however, I couldn't connect to the network due to password issues. Yesterday's reading was on a different connection. the first connection kept dropping out so an engineer found a different line to use which didn't have drop outs however it is way slowed!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The NBN (now) has defined minimum acceptable speed bands but unfortunately there's much less certainty around ADSL2+ speeds. There's really no minimum requirement for Optus to meet. However the speeds are pretty dire so you can probably request the contract be terminated (Optus retentions department). 

How long until the NBN is due in your area?

You could also equire about mobile wireless broadband which is generally around 12Mbps. Vivid Wireless offer unlimited data plans.

Maybe head back to TPG. However at this stage in the NBN rollout I'd suggest staying away from 2 year contracts if you can. Better to retain flexability until it settles down.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos