cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Benchmarks
New Contributor

Would a speed pack help?

Hi, so basically my internet is pretty bad. Im on an ADSL 2+ deal and i get speeds of about 3-4 mbps down and 0.1-3 mbps upload. The basic speed pack im on now says its up to 50mbps down and 2mbps up. Im just wondering if paying $30 extra per month to go to the highest speed pack would actually help my internet become faster or would it just stay the same?  Its really annoying right now, if more than one person is on it then it becomes practically unusable, Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Would a speed pack help?

If your on ADSL 2+ then you wont be able to get a speedpack.

Speedpacks are for Optus HFC or NBN only and dont apply to the ADSL 2+ plans at all.

Judging by tge speeds you have indicated you are either a long distance from the exchange and/or have a bad line.

Best to contact technical support to see what they say. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

ADSL has no speed packs option.

ADSL speeds are different for every household and depend on 

a) how good the wiring is between your modem and the telephone exchange

b) how far your house is from the telephone exchange (this can be between 50m and 5km)

ADSL can provide a theoretical maximum speed of about 20Mbps (That's when you are 50m away) 80% of people will get 10Mbps or less and a lot of unlucky people will get less than 5Mbps. There is usually very little you can do to improve this.

Your options are 

a) Check out wireless broadband. The pricing is similar to a standard plan ($80 or so) and it uses the 4G network. Speeds can be limited to 12Mbps but that would be better than you are getting.

b) Wait for the NBN. You can check when and what technology you will get here. The NBN can generally do 100Mbps (although the FTTN option, which is essentially ADSL but moves you closer to the node, is again a variable experience and you will get between 25Mbps  and 100Mbps)

So short answer is no, a speed pack is not possible for you. Do you have an option to get Optus or Telstra cable in your street?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/data-sim-card?plan=80&contract&SID=con:tab:...

The current price of 4G is $60 for 200GB, or $52 bundled. The speed is whatever is left in the tower and how good your modem is at aggregating. But it's a lot more difficult. The reliablility may be better than Optus ADSL, which can go out for weeks.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

>>Hi, so basically my internet is pretty bad. Im on an ADSL 2+ deal and i get speeds of about 3-4 mbps down and 0.1-3 mbps upload.

You should investigate how far you are from the exchange. Those speeds are consistent with 3.6km from the exchange. If you are closer to the exchange, then moving to another good supplier has been known to make it better, esp if congestion is involved. Sometimes you get moved to better equipment in the exchange. Ask around the neighbourhood.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Without seeing any line stats from your "Modem" it is pretty difficult to tell what the speed issue is related to.

Could be the problem from thislist:

1. You could be 3+Km from the phone exchange by copper length, thus greatly reducing any speed.

2. You could be much closer copper distance but your line outside your house may have issues such as cross talk(think about trying to talk to someone quietly in a room of people yelling at each other), bridge taps(think of it like having 2 showers going at once connected to a single hot water tank - fightning for that great hot water)

3. ADSL2+ line card fault in the exchange - this can happen and id say most cards be approaching 10+ years - would need a P/S/C rebuild by a tech to get it back to how it should be

4. You could have other devices in your dwelling "stealing" bandwidth via wifi etc (e.g. an app trying to update and gets stuck, so keeps trying)

5. You could have a fault in the wiring in your own dwelling, open lines, earthing and other things.

6. You could have congestion from the exchange back to Optus (backhaul congestion)

7. Your "Modem" may be on its way out and degrading over time

Main quesion - has it always been slow?

Best course of action is call tech support at Optus and log a fault - they can remote test your line and see that stats and take it form there.

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor johnchanchan
New Contributor

i add speed pack 3 on my optus acc, and it get still slow my internet connection. it doesn't help much.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So are you on FTTN? 

Unless you are getting around 40Mbps+ though out the day then Optus must refund the extra paid (unless they told you you would get less).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

EDIT- this is a different person just randomly added, not the original requestor.

Still suggest you log a fault with tech support then.

Except they have lines tested and will only offer speedpacks that can be attained.

So far we have had no info on what the actual connection is besides ADSL2+ so who knows?

Still best to log an issue with support.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors