Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Workaround for terrible wifi

Connected to broadband with Optus and have the supplied sagemcom modem.

It seems that it struggles to sustain decent internet speeds even if my wireless device is within 5m away.

After almost two months of this I'm needing a solution. I can't have hardwired connections running around, so I'm a bit limited.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Workaround for terrible wifi

If you google how to optimise my WiFi you'll find loads of tips on how to improve your indoor coverage, including trying to change the WiFi channel to avoid interference from your neighbours connections. 

You could also look at a third party modem/router which has better WiFi capabilities.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Tried and tested the channel changing but to no avail.

I find it incredibly disappointing, seeing as it's expected that everything works out of the box (even after paying extra for the modem router). Only to find out that you would need to spend more and use the other as a paperweight.

So basically, the conclusion here is that the Optus supplied unit is suboptimal (in nice terms), and I've wasted time and money with it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The Optus supplied modem/router isn't top of the line by any stretch but can still do it's job. I'm not sure if you spent any money on it though, Optus supply the modems at no cost on a lot of their plans. 

But yes the end result is if you want a device that can do more then what Optus' modem can then you'll need to look at 3rd party hardware. Make sure to keep the Optus modem though, it can come in handy at times. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own