Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Within contract change from home wireless to ADSL

I have OPTUS Home wireless, 24 month contract. Now since NBN is coming soon to our area, can I switch from Home Wireless to ADSL, so when NBN is there, I'll be upgraded to NBN.

Please share thoughts

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Within contract change from home wireless to ADSL

What postcode?

Presumably you are on home wireless because the ADSL is so poor? 

How much are you paying for home wireless plan?

How much longer is your current contract roughly?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Post code - 3168

I'm on home wireless because I wanted a quick connection, becuase my other ISP took more than a month but couldn't provide good speeds.

My concern is, 200 GB data per month on Hoem wireless should be good enough,or should I switch to ADSL to get unlimited. I can be with OPTUS only, just change connection type.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks.

Can you cover the other queries as they may have an impact on any suggestions.

What tech is the NBN arrving as: check here

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

80 per month

24 month contract

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks.

Last thing is the NBN Tech. Possibly most important as it seems your area is going to HFC Cable (But not for another 18 months).

You don't have Optus cable in your area now?

FWIW there's no benefit in transfering to the ADSL plan as far as the NBN is concerned. When it becomes available no matter what tech you are on you can just transition over. You'll want to not extend your NBN contract (by then about 6 months to go) but just get to a month to month contract giving you freedom to choose new plans or ISPs.

Are you in a 2300 Mhz area for wireless? (i.e. is your max download speed 12Mbps)? 

Switching to ADSL will give you unlimited data (and should be possible as the plan is the same price) but you do run the risk the ADSL speeds will be slower than your current wireless. How are your speeds now?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for quick and to the point responses 🙂

Speeds are ok, as I'm under 2300 MHz region, I'm only concerned about the data limit.

I can monitor my usage on wireless for couple of months, but if I need ore data, I might need to switch to ADSL and I hope it should be ok as they are in the same price and I'm ready to take the contract (not breaking, so hopefully no contract exit fees??)

Thanks,

Manoj

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

IMO if you're OK with the speeds then stick with wireless. ADSL might be a bit faster but also may be a fair bit slower. 

If the data limits become too hard then that would be the best reason to switch.

The NBN isn't a factor IMO. Switching to it (in 19 months) is the same process no matter which option you take as its a totally different tech (wire)

As to your core question, I can't answer it. Optus standard contract is you can always change contracts to one that costs more. The same or less involves a cancellation fee. That said this is usually applied across the same tech. 

You will need to contact the Optus direct (not this public forum) and ask them to look at your specific contract and let you know what they will approve.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @jonam, as Peter mentioned, you can reach out to us either through private message or here and we can take a look at your contract and what your options are. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos