cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor D4rcy
New Contributor

Wireless home broadband constant dropouts

Hi i have home wireless broadband account which has work reasonably well for the last 18months however in the last couple of weeks we have been experiencing constant internet dropouts. its a huawei E5186s-61a modem on the $70 200gb plan. At the moment we are getting about 4 dropouts an hour, which makes downloading any large file or streaming a real pain. Reestablishing connection to the internet requires the modem to be turned off and back on again which takes about 2 mins and then have to re-connect all devices. The internet will then work for another 10-15 mins before dropping out again. I generally have pretty good reception as im not that far from a tower and never really have an issue with the speed itself (even though the wireless broadband isnt that fast to begin with)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Wireless home broadband constant dropouts

Does the light on the router change to red by chance?

If so - it means it decided to try 3g instead of its 4g (only 4g is activated on that plan).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor D4rcy
New Contributor

Yes goes to red when the net dropsout. Is there a way to force it to stay on 4g and not try switching to 3g?
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Yes, you can force it to 4g only with these steps

Open your browser and type 192.168.8.1

Click settings on the page that opens

It will ask for a username and password, i think both is admin or try username of admin and password of password (i cant remember)

Once logged in, click "dialup" on the left side

Then click "Network Settings"

Use the drop down box labeled "Prefered Mode" and change to 4g Only

Click the apply button.

Try that out and see if it fixes the dropout issues.

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Why would a modem with good reception drop out to 3G ?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

May not have the best signal on 4g to start with.

The router is constantly searching for other bands to find the best signal, it may find 900Mhz 3g is better and tries to swap to it.

I took quite a long time ot find the best spot in my house for my router - it now lives on a bookcase with a view out a window to a tower several kms away.

New Contributor D4rcy
New Contributor

Thanks ive tried the suggestion to set to 4g only. Seems to be holding for the time being, hopefully stays this way.. Im only about 500m from the nearest tower although it is a pretty dense area, my only reason for not thinking its a reception issue is that it was working fine for 18months and only noticeably became an issue in the last few weeks. Thanks for the help!
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You may get bad periods rather than 3G dump outs.

It's weird though, because the modem can always fall back to 700, rather than 3G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Fionoula
Occasional Contributor

OptusBroadbanddropouts is a way of life for people in my area. It has gone on and on for 5 years. Constant hanging on to speak to someone in a foreign call center. For the last 12 months I haven’t bothered to call to complain as it makes no difference.

our local area Facebook page has constant remarks “Has anyone else’s Optusdroppedout” and then there is a long list of people who state they also have the mesmerizing problem.

why have I stayed with Optus with their lousy provision and lack of customer service?   Well I have been with Optus for over 30 years and had decided to change providers when our area eventually gets NBN. The date for NBN keeps moving into the future.  I am a non valued long term customer who can’t wait to leave!

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

This is not something that we can assist with here on the forum.

Have you (and the others) logged a fault?
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. 

If for some reason it is still not resolved, please follow our complaints process.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors