cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Jex12
New Contributor

Wireless broadband drop outs each night

Signed up for wireless boradband a few days ago and for the first few hours seemed very happy (200GB/m with Hauwai B525, averaging between 10-40mbps), then only to find that every evening for the last three days it starts dropping out all over the place, usually around 8 – 10pm. Noticing mostly when we chromecast netflix in the eve, and it will get stuck buffering, eventually resuming but often not for many minutes. It's not just netflix though, when it happens everything goes down, like cant even search google. Though the modem will be showing connectivity (cyan light) and there's always 3 – 4 bars of reception showing.

Any one else experience this? I'm in Drummoyne, supposedly < 500m from an a Optus tower.

I've tried changing the mode to 4G only, moving the router, adding antennas, and testing via ethernet into my PC.. no fixes so far.

Thanks for any input,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wireless broadband drop outs each night

Looks like you have gone to great effort to try and get it working properly. My first thought would be congestion on the local tower given it happens at peak time all the time. I guess there could be an issue with the modem but if it works ok off peak its highly unlikely. Have you had a word with support as they should be able able to tell you what is happening on the tower. Hit them up for a discount it if it turns out to be an issue on their end.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Heya @Jex12, our mobile tech team do have tools to measure cell congestion.

If there does turn out to be an issue, I'm sure they'll be willing to discuss some options.

I'd give our Live Chat team a shot.

PersonalMobileTechnical issues.

Let us know how it all goes, happy to help in anyway I can. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Sam777
New Contributor

Hi,
I am contemplating going for the Optus Home Mobile Broadband $60 200GB plan that comes with the Huawei B525 modem. Most users say that its speed capped to 12/1 Mbps while you have mentioned that you can hit upto 40Mbps sppeds!

Can you please confirm with a speed test whether you are actually going above 12Mbps or not?

0 Kudos
New Contributor ryw1
New Contributor

I am in Rozelle, also near a tower, and have the same problems. I too have bought an antenna which makes no difference. All chromecast devices and google home have become unusable since connecting to mobile broadband, they either can't connect or drop out every few minutes, and spend ages reestablishing connection. Useless. I didnt even want mobile, after moving to an area where nbn is already connected only to have found that they didnt set up all connections in the townhouse complex, and they are for reasons beyond anyones comprehension seemingly unable to fix it, i am stuck with mobile as the only option. I would be happy with adsl2 though optus refuses to connect it as there is nbn in the area. They just send out nbn who dont know how to fix the problem and refer back to optus, after being stuck in this endless loop with no internet for 2 months this expensive mobile broadband that doesnt work is all i could get. Only solution is to move again.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jex12
New Contributor

@ryw1 

I do recall that by going into the modem settings (I think on my Huawei b525 it's 192.168.8.1 or something like that..) and changing the frequency from auto to 2100 or 2400 or something I was able to get more stable results.  Can't give you exact details right now because after only a few months the crappy Huawei modem has just died, so I'm in the process of getting it replaced.  

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jex12
New Contributor

I should follow that up by reiterating "more" stable..  still often cut outs and lag in peak time, but there was an improvement. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor ryw1
New Contributor

Thanks for that, I actually did try that for a while, after a lot of googling for answers, though it didn't seem to make a difference so I put it back on auto.
0 Kudos
New Contributor Sam777
New Contributor

I have been using the same Optus Wireless BB 200GB at $60 per month for almost an year now. I often travel with this modem between Penrith to Ryde and its almost a given fact that every evening I will have to manually reboot it once! While my S10+ on Optus gives me 300Mbps+ speeds near window but the Huawei modem at the same location never goes beyond 20 Mbps most of the time and at Fast.com (Netflix Server) its only 18-20 Mbps even with (1) an external starfish antenna at home and (2) Two high gain antennas while travelling. But since the ADSL was giving me only 5-6Mbps hence I still chose to be with the Optus Wireless BB cause it still works a bit better after a reboot while ADSL is always stuck at that measly speeds. I dint play with the frequencies cause of the travel situation hence left it at Auto.

0 Kudos